Big tex 45 SS

/ Big tex 45 SS #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
I'm wanting to get a 16' trailer to get lumber, sod, gravel and maybe haul my little bx 1860 with fel and woods bh. I have been looking around and am thinking of getting a big tex 45ss trailer.

G.V.W.R. 4,490#
Axle (2) 3,500# EZ Lube w/ (1) Elec. Brake
G.A.W.R. (Ea. Axle) 3,500#
Supension Multi-Leaf Spring w/ Equalizer
COUPLER 2” A-Frame
Tire ST205/75R-15 Load Range C SAFETY CHAINS 1/4” Grd. 30 w/Safety Latch Hook (2 ea)
Wheel 15" x 5"; White Spoke 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern
JACK 2,000# Top Wind (Bolted On)
Floor 2" Treated Pine or Douglas Fir* TONGUE 4” Channel
Lights D.O.T. Stop, Tail, Turn & Clearance TOP RAIL 2-3/8” Pipe Square Back Elec. Plug 7-Way RV FRAME 3” x 2” x 3/16” Angle
Finish (Prep) Steel is Cleaned to Ensure a Professional Smooth Finish. CROSSMEMBERS 3” x 2” x 3/16” Angle UPRIGHTS 15” Tall, 2” x 2” x 1/8” Angle Finish Superior Quality Finish is Applied for a Highly Decorative and Protective Finish.
FENDERS 9” x 72” Rolled Formed w/Back
• (4) Tie Down Loops Inside Bed
• EZ Lube Hubs
• Dexter Brand Axles
• Nev-R-Adjust Electric Brakes
• Cambered Axles
• 2-3/8” Pipe Top Rail
* Douglas Fir Available from Caldwell, ID

That's the specs. It's 77" wide.

Anyone think I should spring for a bigger one? I don't plan on my Silverado or wife's Tahoe being towed, but it's possible. I'm thinking keeping a bigger heavier trailer around just for that would just be a waste.

/ Big tex 45 SS #2  
The finish (powder coat I'm nearly positive) on the Big Tex I owned was really bad. Significant flaking and rusting within a year. Otherwise, I was happy with the construction.
So only one axle has breaks on the trailer your looking at?

/ Big tex 45 SS
Yes. You can get 2 as an option, but I don't feel I need it. I'm pretty sure they spray them.

/ Big tex 45 SS #4  
I have a big Tex 50LA in 18 feet for the tractor and misc hauler. It has almost the same specs as the one above. I have used it so much just because it's not overly big compared to my 10k trailer. It's been a great trailer.

V__12F2.jpg

/ Big tex 45 SS #5  
Yes. You can get 2 as an option, but I don't feel I need it. I'm pretty sure they spray them.

Your state says you need brakes on both axles.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/safety/attachments/TRAILERREQUIREMENTSTAG.pdf

DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY TENNESSEE HIGHWAY PATROL
TRAILER INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS BRAKES: (TCA 55-9-204) (FMCSR 393.42;393.43)
1.) Trailers with a gross weight of 3,000 lbs. or more are required to have brakes on ALL WHEELS.
2.) Trailer with a gross weight of 1,500 to 3,000 lbs. are required to have brakes on ONE axle.
3.) Trailers with a gross weight of less than 1,500 lbs. need NOT be equipped with brakes.

/ Big tex 45 SS #6  
I have the 14' 50LA with ramp gate along with a 20' 12GP GN and both are good trailers. While the 50LA has the same specs it weighs more so I suspect there is more bracing.

/ Big tex 45 SS #7  
I've got by with a 12 ft skid loader style trailer. It has 7,000 lb tandem axles which made it good for hauling loads of gravel just over 3 tons, from the quarry. I used some 2 x 12s as side boards and across the tail end (also a canvas tarp cover over the load). As a general purpose trailer it was just right for me, especially after I switched it from Surge brakes to Electric brakes (with a controller).

My B2620 just fit when the MMM and FEL was mounted. But Hey, I'm a homeowner that just does a few chores and not in a business.

Your BX should fit on a 16 ft with a FEL &/or a brush hog I believe. Some other aspects that you might consider could include property tax, license, inspections, and maneuverability especially for storage and parking. Usually, longer is better .........especially if later on you get a bigger tractor with attachments.

/ Big tex 45 SS
Thanks. By bh I meant back hoe1466165668672.jpg

/ Big tex 45 SS #9  
Thanks. By bh I meant back hoeView attachment 472043
...Roger that....

I think the fit would be just a bit longer, but not much for a backhoe. I guess measuring is the answer. Hey, I got one of those Cyclone Z-10 rakes too.........love it.

Now that probably wouldn't fit....when all hooked up.:)

/ Big tex 45 SS
Well I called the nearest dealer and asked how to order one, he never called back.
A freind was heading to texas and offered to pick one up for me, so i called the factory and left a message with the person I was directed to, and they never called back.
I want to buy a trailer and no one at big tex will sell me one.
A local Mahindra dealer sells Texas Bragg trailers, he is supposed to call when he gets a 16ft.