Big tractor syndrome

/ Big tractor syndrome #151  
I don't like what you said. You don't like what I said. So what. You alienated yourself from several people who just tried to help you.

:thumbsup:

I gotta agree with GP. Cherokee, seems you are the only person worked up about this.

If you are happy with your tractor, we are happy for you. But that doesn't mean that everyone else bought the wrong tractor. :)

:thumbsup:

/ Big tractor syndrome
Nope not worked up in the slightest.

I did not take a posters advice at face value, He told me all about santa clause and the easter bunny and when I questioned it people got defensive. No real biggie.

I really think that a great many veterans underestimate different machines....and do not make fully informed suggestions...just trying to point out some peoples info might be dated, and try to figure out why the small machine is the red headed step child of the tractor world.

Guess no one likes the runt.

/ Big tractor syndrome #153  
I like the Massey GC series better than the BX IMHO.:2cents::eek:

/ Big tractor syndrome #154  
"It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one, stop digging."

/ Big tractor syndrome #155  
"It is a good thing to follow the first law of holes; if you are in one, stop digging."

That's it, The BH is has a Float and the stabilizers lock when up. The Hydraulics are stronger and you run the Machine at a lower RPM and get the same control speed.

/ Big tractor syndrome #156  
There really is no right or perfect tractor, just the perfect tractor for the right person. In our case we only have about 8 acres. I personally own a 50 HP 4x4 (mx5100) and a small 23 hp 4x4 machine (BX25D). Why, because I do a lot of dirt work and the 50hp does it very fast and without any effort. It lifts high enough to load trucks, moves a fairly decent quantity of material in one scoop, and plows the snow off the ¾ mile lane quickly . I also brush hog a neighbors farm roads and some fields and it works great for that. Now why did I but a smaller machine, because it fits all the places the big machine doesn't. It can mow my lawn without damage, the loader lets my wife transport mulch into the flower gardens, and the little backhoe is making VERY quick work of my ditches. Neither machine is perfect for me alone but together they lessen my work and make our life easier. I even tried a middle size machine and found it was too small for a lot of things yet a little to big for others...

/ Big tractor syndrome #157  
Nope not worked up in the slightest.

I did not take a posters advice at face value ...
I really think that a great many veterans underestimate different machines....and do not make fully informed suggestions...just trying to point out some peoples info might be dated....

Then why ask for advice.

Why don't you just say.... This is what I think...everyone who agrees with me, please verify my thoughts...

/ Big tractor syndrome #158  
You are so right I have zero experience going into this, and I did ask questions and I questioned the answers. But you know what else that give me over someone that has bought hundreds of tractors before, had people in their past that farmed with a Mastodon. I have no bias. I can look at things from the outside in and make a judgement not based on color, or past, or fear of being laughed at. I can buy a claw hammer of a tool that will do just what I need it to do.

Now where my question came in was why did everyone save a very few people say machines of this type are too small, are toys, are over grown lawn mowers, will really not be able to do anything, good at nothing, badly made, poor quality......on and on. And after doing a little leg work on my own it seems these machines are just looked down upon.....I wanted to know if it was justified or if people put them down and talked up bigger machines, machines the size that they own(ed) are the "the smallest they would go".

What I mean by using that phrase is that (I) think that too much machine is suggested by people, not just here but everywhere. Is it an "up-sell". Did this all start with this little tractor thing that just about every manufacturer was sure no one wanted....Heck that is just a big lawn mower....if someone wants a tractor they will just buy a "real" tractor.....Is it that there is so little margin in the small machines that the dealers really don't want to sell them....They don't stock many, but it seemed at the farm show quite a few people were looking at the 1 series, max, BX, GC tractors. And by the most part the sales reps had little info on them, and would rather play on their tablets then talk to someone about a sub compact machine. Is this something that we (the buyers) of the little machines are just too stupid to know what is for our own good, and all of those videos on youtube of guys digging out mountains, and huge trees are all just doctored by the users to make themselves feel good about the machine.

If anyone does not care for the thread, not care for what I say in it, I ask a real question, I question the results and people get their nose bent out of shape....I have a tip if you don't like what I ask or say don't waste the bandwidth....just don't click.

You are taking people's responses WAY too personal and part of the reason you have no bias is you have no experience. Most people on here congratulate a member whenever they purchase a tractor, regardless of size or color and don't really give a rat's patooty what tractor you buy. YOU are the one that has to live with it.

But the fact of the matter is most people go to a bigger tractor because it can do more faster. It's not a bias, it's a fact. And many more people move UP in size than feel they purchased too much tractor.

I watched a video you posted where you were back dragging your bucket with a ratchet rake, front wheels off the ground. It looked liked you were moving very little material and you were pretty much at your limit. If you had a CUT sized tractor you would get different result and if you had a Utility tractor your results would be different again.

Having done what you are doing in the video with various sized tractors, if someone asked for my advice on a tractor to dig with a root rake, yours wouldn't make my short list. If YOU did what you are doing on a cut or a utility tractor and someone asked for your recommendation, your opinion would change also.

Enjoy your tractor and if you ever want to trade up, you might want to do it quietly. Most people don't stop at just one!

/ Big tractor syndrome
Then why ask for advice.

Why don't you just say.... This is what I think...everyone who agrees with me, please verify my thoughts...

Big difference between asking for advice and saying that I am all worked up. Reeding iz hard

/ Big tractor syndrome
You are taking people's responses WAY too personal and part of the reason you have no bias is you have no experience. Most people on here congratulate a member whenever they purchase a tractor, regardless of size or color and don't really give a rat's patooty what tractor you buy. YOU are the one that has to live with it.

But the fact of the matter is most people go to a bigger tractor because it can do more faster. It's not a bias, it's a fact. And many more people move UP in size than feel they purchased too much tractor.

I watched a video you posted where you were back dragging your bucket with a ratchet rake, front wheels off the ground. It looked liked you were moving very little material and you were pretty much at your limit. If you had a CUT sized tractor you would get different result and if you had a Utility tractor your results would be different again.

Having done what you are doing in the video with various sized tractors, if someone asked for my advice on a tractor to dig with a root rake, yours wouldn't make my short list. If YOU did what you are doing on a cut or a utility tractor and someone asked for your recommendation, your opinion would change also.

Enjoy your tractor and if you ever want to trade up, you might want to do it quietly. Most people don't stop at just one!

No I will freely admit when and if the day comes that this machine is not enough. No big deal, live and learn that is why I am trying to document everything that happens with the machine. I figure if someone is in the same boat I was more info is always better. Seeing what it can do on video was one of the reasons I decided to get a smaller machine.

In moving the stuff with the rake...it really is only broken dead branches, some saplings but not the real small ones they just seem too springy to come out...the bigger thicker ones come out. It is looking like this method will get those trees that are the in between size...too small to dig up, and too big to just pull up or cut with loppers. The rake took it down to the dirt and just left those little springy ones there...I did just run the bucket without the teeth and that would scoop them up but it took more dirt then I really wanted, so I think doing those by hand is really going to be the only way to leave the dirt behind.

I understand that different sized machines would give different results, but doing a U turn in those woods was like a 6 point turn....I really don't think anything bigger would have fit. Most machines are a compromise...no doubt about that.

Yea no one really cares what anyone else buys but that was not the point of this thread.

The only people that thought I was looking at the right sized machines are the 3 people that live next to me...neighbor on each side and the guy behind me.....all said that is all you will ever need. At first all three thought the same as most people seem to and that it is just a lawn mower....but after showing them some videos of other peoples project they said if it will do all that you will be set.

What I don't understand is why every dealer except Kubota, tried to talk me into bigger and bigger machines. Some like New Holland don't make something in that class anymore so I can understand that, and according to them the machines just could not do anything so they quit selling them. That attitude is what I want to understand.....that's the only thing I want to know.

If the day comes that I need a larger machine, decide I made a bad choice, rest assured I will document it fully on here, or in my day in the life thread.

The bias against the little machines is all I really want to understand.