Big Wood - Small Tractor.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor.
I don't remember if the question has been asked or answered: but what do you plan to do with the wood afterwards? If you are going to just burn or landfill it, you might find it easier to make a path and haul the wood in a trailer.

Make a path?.... Those boulder are as big as a car....

Burn it of course... We do get some cold here....

Dale

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #52  
Please explain to me how I can get parbuckling rig in close to remove tree in picture... Yes it's the "Y" shaped one in center of pic... It's oak its very dead and there is no safe ground to use chainsaw to cut from.... And there is a creek about 3 feet behind where pic was taken from so it precludes getting a tractor Jeep with winch in there....

Dale

Parbuckling is primarily a loading method, not a retrieval method.

Name any technique, and you will eventually come across something that it will not work on. If you are looking for a one-size fits all retrieval and loading method, please let the rest of us know when you've found it.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #53  
Because there is no way to get a trailer in there and the depth perception of camera is poor as tree is almost 75-80 feet from you marked location....

So far only solution seems to be having tree professionally dropped (risk factor because of area around tree trunk) and the cut to fireplace length and hand packed out....

Dale

Well maybe your woodlot is in the wrong thread location, it's sounding more and more like you need a dynamite licence and one of these.................................
635G_BME7274-webop-940x430.jpg

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #54  
Parbuckling is primarily a loading method, not a retrieval method.

Name any technique, and you will eventually come across something that it will not work on. If you are looking for a one-size fits all retrieval and loading method, please let the rest of us know when you've found it.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #55  
I posted these a while ago for ideas
The electric and had as seen above

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #56  
For 27 years I used my Ford 1700 4WD to move large lengths of Ponderosa pine logs. Go back 3 to 4 feet on the log. Drive in a large spike on top of the log - I used railroad spikes. Wrap a long chain around the log and behind the spike. This chain will be attached to the drawbar. Secure the lower links at their widest. Run a chain between the lower links.

Back the tractor - drop the lower links to their lowest - put the chain that's between the lower links under the log - pull the towing chain tight and attach to the drawbar. Raise the lower links and log. Drive off carefully - towing the log.

I thought about purchasing some type of "log cradle". Instead I traded in the Ford and got a Kubota M6040. Now I just use a chain attached to the drawbar. My property is very open - no need for snatch blocks, etc. Just attach and go.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor.
Well maybe your woodlot is in the wrong thread location, it's sounding more and more like you need a dynamite licence and one of these.................................
View attachment 634963
Its not a wood lot.... Its a single tree that is in a very awkward location that need to be remove because it is now a torch waiting to be lit in the dry Sierra Nevada Mountains of Cali where forest fire danger are listed as "extreme".......

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #58  
OK, DL. So...... do I get this right. You have ONE tree that you need to move.

Small tractor, no problem - cut the trunk into small pieces.

I have a green wood weight chart. I can tell you, pretty close, how much a foot length of about any green tree will weigh.

Do you have a bucket or grapple on the FEL. NO - then you will have to drag out chunks one at a time.

Is the tree green or dead? What species? What's the diameter at the base? Surely your tractor can drag a 500# chunk of trunk. Just need to figure the lengths to cut the trunk to get 500# chunks.

You will wrap a chain or rope around the chunk tightly. Attach the chain or rope to your drawbar. Go like the wind.

/ Big Wood - Small Tractor. #59  
yes it is an 8000lb on the jd and an 10000 on the kioti. Having the boom on the jd sure is handy for lifting one end. Much easier for dragging and saves saw chains.