Bleeding the 'Bota

/ Bleeding the 'Bota #1  

chim

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, Ford 1210
Did a fuel filter switch today before mowing. This wasn't the first time, but I didn't remember what, if anything, I did to bleed it. Hopped aboard and cranked. And cranked (a lot). Finally gave up and went to the house for the WSM to see where I failed. Discovered there's a little knob on the drinker's side that opens a bleed valve. Suffice it to say that a lot of cranking was required and the battery seemed to be losing power. Brought the Trailblazer down for a jump before killing the Kubota battery completely and still cranked a lot.

Thought it might be a good thing to see how hot the starter was getting. Real hot. Back to the house for a gallon of water and a drinking water bottle that made it easier to deliver the water where it was needed. The first water to hit the starter actually hissed into steam. Can't believe the poor thing didn't give up the ghost. It finally started. Ran rough for a bit, but worked fine after a couple minutes running. Very glad it did start because it had the other tractor parked in.

Maybe next time I'll turn the bleed knob before trying to start it. This is the first time I had trouble starting a tractor after swapping the fuel filter or running out of fuel. The Ford doesn't have a fuel gage and I ran it dry a couple times. Once I just cranked till it fired and another time I loosened the injectors.

/ Bleeding the 'Bota #2  
Oh my, sure sounds like that poor starter was hot!

/ Bleeding the 'Bota #3  
I always pre fill my primary filter before putting it back on and the I pump the primer knob on top until firm (you may not have that) with the bleeder wheel on the pump open.

/ Bleeding the 'Bota
At about 2 minutes in the video below, the guy has a fuel system that looks like mine, and it is as shown and described in my WSM.

/ Bleeding the 'Bota #5  
Both mine are the same (M9's) and I use the bleeder valve everytime I change the primary filter or the filter on my Racor (see my thread on that). The thumbwheel valve allows the trapped air out. I still pre fill my filters anyway.