Blocking mouse access?

/ Blocking mouse access? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
After years & years, I have finally figured out how mice are getting into & under the house, thanks in part to a ground squirrel that got under the house. There is a little gap between the furnace and the garage foundation. Somewhere behind the furnace there must be access. But I can't get to it. Access to that area for humans is blocked by a water heater & a well pressure tank.

This week, the pressure tank is getting replaced, so for a brief period I'll have some access. So how can I best block that gap behind the furnace and do it quickly so the tank guy isn't delayed too long?

My first idea is to squirt in insulation foam, the kind that comes in pressure cans. I figure if the mouse doesn't see an entrance, he won't go there. Have also thought about wadding up some metal window screen material and jamming it in there and maybe using the foam along with it, so if for some reason they get thru the foam or it disintegrates over time the screen will block access.

Any better ideas?

Thanks.

/ Blocking mouse access? #2  
use steel wool, and something waterproof, maby silicon?

/ Blocking mouse access? #3  
Steel wool all the way. About the only thing mice will not chew through.

/ Blocking mouse access? #4  
+1 on the steel wool and if you want to make it solid, foam or caulk it in place. A little bleach will also remove any previously left odour trail that helps rodents that are new to the neighbourhood find their way!

/ Blocking mouse access? #5  
We have used steel wool around pipes where they have been coming in. Once we have done that no more mice :) unless they find a new way in. Hard to keep the little buggers out. :mad:

/ Blocking mouse access? #6  
Another steel wool yes.

Spray insulation mice will nibble at for another home,and before you know it they will be back in your home.

/ Blocking mouse access? #7  
Seen mice gnaw through foam over night...

Metal/cement is your best bet... Steel Wool next and it is quick and easy.

/ Blocking mouse access? #8  
A hungry cat!
Morter works well also.
Use a small trowel and pack all gaps with the morter.
Also for larger gaps U can use the metalic stucco lath, even wire type screening is good.

Have fun!

/ Blocking mouse access? #9  
Put some steel wool in place and then expanding foam all around it to seal the hole. Before it completely dries, on the outside access spray some good strong poison to absorb into the foam. 3X protection.

/ Blocking mouse access? #10  
I have used steel wool in the past and it works. Cheap too. :D

We had mice getting into the attic. The only way I can see how they could get in was by climbing the coax cable entering the attic space. VERY small opening and how/why the wee buggers find that opening is beyond me. So I put in steel wool.

A couple nights ago I checked the attic....

I had put down some batt insulation to cover some places either this year or last. I cannot remember. :eek: I put the steel wool into place this year. On top of the batt insulation was mice poo! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

It is possible the mice got into the attic after I put down the insulation and before I put up steel wool which I installed during the hot summer to make sure the mice were out of the attic. But that mouse poop looks fresh.

The only way I can see them getting into the attic is if the mice can climb vertical brick walls. :eek:

Putting in steel wool is easy.

Finding WHERE to put the steel wool is not so easy. :eek::D

Later,
Dan