Blocking off radiator?

/ Blocking off radiator? #1  

SuperiorLakeEffect

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901
This winter has been fairly cold for us (~5F, -15 wind chill- any colder than that, I don't blow snow). My L3901 is taking a long time to get up to temp and you really have to work it hard to keep it there. Thinking of blocking off the radiator grill with cardboard or some such.

Anybody have any experience doing this? Will keep an eye on the temperature gauge if I try it, the cardboard is coming out if things start getting hot.

/ Blocking off radiator? #3  
If the motor is turbocharged, I'd not block the air flow as the intercooler still needs air flow. If not have at it.. Why you don't see big trucks today with winterfronts. Bad deal too block the air to air intercooler.

I'm ore concerned with ingestion of snow dust into the air cleaner than anything else

/ Blocking off radiator? #4  
If the motor is turbocharged, I'd not block the air flow as the intercooler still needs air flow. If not have at it.. Why you don't see big trucks today with winterfronts. Bad deal too block the air to air intercooler.

I'm ore concerned with ingestion of snow dust into the air cleaner than anything else
My 6.6 Duramax with a turbo came with a wind blocker I keep it on from dec-march never a problem since 2016. The truck heats up faster/ but never overheats, seems to run better when it's real cold and surprisingly I get better fuel mileage.

/ Blocking off radiator? #5  
why are you asking? are you having trouble getting up to operating temp's when at ~5F??? you shouldn't if you are you probably have a t-stat issue.

wrt covering rad, We do it all the time..... BUT at your temp's I wouldn't worry (~5F) as thats not really cold in our experiance.

Around here on a L3901 at -15 or colder we would block off 1/2 the radiator PLUS 1/2 the screen on the top of the LHS of the hood hood. The screen on the top of the hood is over top the DPF.

Doing this at -20 and running rpm's to get 540pto speed speeds up the warm up and keeps the temp gauge exactly where it is when working it in the summer.

so 1/2 blocked rad and DPF screen working the machine fairly hard at 540 PTO when -20c yields no difference in water temp than in summer tilling for us.

edit... L3901 is not turbo charged...

Last edited:
   / Blocking off radiator? #6  
My 6.6 Duramax with a turbo came with a wind blocker I keep it on from dec-march never a problem since 2016. The truck heats up faster/ but never overheats, seems to run better when it's real cold and surprisingly I get better fuel mileage.
Fuel mileage today is very important unless yo have a thick wallet. Interesting comment as my little Ford Focus has radiator shutters (factory) as well and it too gets better mileage when they are closed for some reason. I like seeing that 40.1 average mpg on the readout especially now. aA month ago it was a 18 buck fillup from E. Now it's almost 30.

/ Blocking off radiator? #7  
We use pieces of ag bag plastic or trash can liners on the grills. You will have to be really working a tractor hard in cold weather to overheat it even with the radiator mostly or all covered.

/ Blocking off radiator? #8  
It's a known fact the mind can not think of 2 things simultaneously , so cuting the air off instantly puts an engine in jeopardy unless it has a temperature audible alarm or shutdown . It's guess work with a maybe at it's best and with a little luck you'll only see steam the next time it's started and the only damage is a blown head gasket .