Blocking the clutch pedal when parked?

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #31  
1 car and two tractors stuck. The last was this spring because the 9600 hadn't been run for a few years. Lucky it will start in gear. Starter and brakes broke it loose.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #32  
I don't use my '52 8N much anymore so I always keep the clutch pedal blocked. I've read many reports over the years on Ford forums where many folks have come asking how to deal with a frozen clutch. I figure better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• Blocking down the clutch pedal.jpg
    Blocking down the clutch pedal.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 49
   / Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #33  
Just browsing around the internet tonight, I find some posts about clutches rusting to the flywheel. People said some Kubotas even came with a block of wood meant to hold the clutch pedal down when parked to keep this from happening.

I've never heard of this before. My tractor (L2350) is parked outside and does not get used very often. Is this really something to worry about?View attachment 820766View attachment 820767
My 1946 Jeep Willys CJ-2A has never had the clutch stick due to rust. However my tiller for my JD Tractor (from Tractor Supply has instructions after use to loosen the clutch so that it does not stick.
First I hear that this happens. My JD 1025R does not have a clutch - so no worry there.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #34  
The surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate get highly polished by the friction material on the clutch disc. In humid weather humidity or moisture from rain or dirt floors etc rust will form on these polished surfaces. Some equipment is better sealed in the clutch housing than others, some may experience a rusted clutch in a few weeks others can be years.
Some manufacturers recommend blocking the pedal down and some even provide hooks or blocks to do so. To be safe block the pedal down if not intending to use the tractor for any length of time. It will not hurt the clutch and may prevent a lot of work or even an accident that could result in injury or death.
When combines were "gear" drive they always recommended the clutch pedal locked down during the off season.
So yes it can happen especially in humid environments.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #35  
My 1979 Yanmar YM2000D has a metal hook that you hold the clutch pedal down with when stored.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #36  
I had a seized clutch on one of my restored classic cars and started blocking. After a year or so, it weakened the clutch springs on my beloved 1957 Chevy convertible. It seemed I just traded one problem for another. In both cases, I had to pull the trans to fix.

A couple of my older HST Kubotas had clutches which were used only for engaging the PTO. I never blocked any of them and never had a problem. The newer HST Kubota's don't have a clutch and engage the PTO electrically.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #37  
Smokeydog has a similar circumstance to several I have experienced with 'Power Wagons', one a 1944, the other a 1952. Both are really Military surplus units, a WC and an M-37, and well 'cared for'. The WC happened first, and it really got me. Dropped the trans and bellhouse only to find out what the problem really was. It took less than a minute with a thin pry to separate the two, then all the time it took to put it all back together. That truck has been stored inside for decades.
The second time around, with the M-37, I figured what was probably going on. I dropped the inspection cover, and easily pried the clutch disc apart while the throw-out bearing was engaged with a 2X4 in the cab, engine off.
If it happens again with the M-37, I can't use Smokeydog's method, although I would want to. The shorter rear axle on the passenger side of the M-37 is prone to breakage on jack rabbiting. Unfortunately, that happened once also. It's one of the trucks Achilles Heels. That truck alternates from inside to outside storage.
Block the clutch pedal. It is cheap insurance that can be done quickly and easily. My Yanmar 336D has a bracket attached that can be dropped into place just for that purpose. Thoughtful engineering.

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #38  
just a random thought here, but if your tractor is stored in a remote location, “locking” the clutch pedal might be a good anti-theft device..

I’ve had both cars and motorcycles that the organic clutch lining material “stuck” to the flywheel/pressure plate.. Only once was it so bad that I had to remove the pressure plate to break it loose. It was a brand new clutch, pp and fw that sat for a couple years in a car we were restoring..

/ Blocking the clutch pedal when parked? #39  
“The manual for my HST Kioti says to disengage the clutch when not in use and has a hook that will hold the pedel depressed. Its not at all far fetched for a clutch to stick to the flywheel.”IMG_3691.jpeg