Blowing white smoke

/ Blowing white smoke #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I was working with my bobcat m600 moving dirt. All was going well then something happened. Engine pitch changed and started blowing white smoke. It was a sudden change, not gradual. Any idea what might have caused it?

/ Blowing white smoke #2  
Many things could be the cause. Did you get it hot, are you sure your temp gauge is working? I'm thinking overheat and popping a head or head gasket. Water in fuel could cause some white smoke, but doesn't sound like it with the symptoms you describe. Are you losing coolant?

/ Blowing white smoke #3  
I do believe you just blew a head gasket.

/ Blowing white smoke #4  
Many things could be the cause. Did you get it hot, are you sure your temp gauge is working? I'm thinking overheat and popping a head or head gasket. Water in fuel could cause some white smoke, but doesn't sound like it with the symptoms you describe. Are you losing coolant?

Sounds to me that it lifted the head . . . popping a head gasket.

/ Blowing white smoke
Its a wisconsin v4hd air cooled 4 cylinder gas engine. I've never seen anything like this before.

Here's a video with sound. THe engine sounds good when it's running, but definitely not normal.
Bobcat issues - YouTube

/ Blowing white smoke
Also no temp guage. I was working it pretty hard when it happened. The first time it happened it blew the oil cap and dip stick off.

/ Blowing white smoke #7  
I had that engine on a Vermeer Stump Grinder. I seem to recall I once had the oil issue and attributed it to stuck valve. But, I don't think it ran and then had issues, rather it was the first start of the season kind of thing.

It's AIR cooled so it can only be oil that it's burining.

/ Blowing white smoke
I had that engine on a Vermeer Stump Grinder. I seem to recall I once had the oil issue and attributed it to stuck valve. But, I don't think it ran and then had issues, rather it was the first start of the season kind of thing.

It's AIR cooled so it can only be oil that it's burining.

My other thought was that it may be water in the fuel which builds up in a cylinder until that big poof. I’ve never seen an intermittent big poof like that before.

/ Blowing white smoke #9  
I'm no gasoline engine expert or any other for that matter, and tried to consider the water scenereo, but couldn't think of one.

/ Blowing white smoke #10  
I think I’d start with a compression test. I’m guessing that might tell the story.