Bolt Size Help

/ Bolt Size Help #11  
...but I'd be 99.99999% sure its just a metric bolt
Could be...but just measuring the thread OD (major diameter) isn't much help. The pitch is every bit as important...
Also, a Kubota dealer's service guy might be able to provide the info

/ Bolt Size Help #12  
The black bolts into the housing are 99 percent metric. The other bolts through the bottom looks like “standard” bolts.

/ Bolt Size Help
Remove one bolt, take it to a good hardware store and find someone competent in the the nuts & bolts department who knows their business.

Alternative:
Buy a vernier caliper with metric and standard options, and metric & standard thread pitch measuring devices and measure yourself.

Cheers

View attachment 718547
I would love to have the option to take one of those bolts out and take it with me to a good hardware store or a local fastenal. But That is just a picture I found showing the holes i am needing bolts to fit. I agree with everyone that they are most likely metric....and reason I want bolts is to make a skid plate like this home brew one. Also I do not currently own a good set of calipers and I have already tried several different bolts I have lying around and 16mm is close But they do not thread right. Tried local dealer they said to try a 16mm 1.5 pitch, ordered 2 from online supplier, as they are not a standard in stock bolt at most places, guess what, There too big! hence my delema....thanks

Last edited:
   / Bolt Size Help #14  
You are talking about the two open, empty holes in front of the orange bracket, right?

Are you sure they're even threaded? Why do you need bolts for those holes if there's nothing bolted on there?
He said in the post #1 he is talking about the holes in front of the existing bracket someone else mounted there. I have to assume he wants to bolt something on there using those two pre-threaded holes. If not, he needs to say so before we waste even more breath.

I found with other Kubotas (like mounting of MMMowers) that they often have threaded holes on the frame which are certainly metric and some at least (I think most) are fine thread metric. Worst case, measure the hole size and go buy a handful of metric bolts to try in the holes each with a different number of threads per cm. Tedious but eventually by cut and try you'll find one that not only fits the hole but will screw all the way in without feeling cross-threaded. It can be tricky. I had need for one more bolt in mounting a MMM, had a metric bolt which seemed to fit but would only go in a turn or two and then bind. Visually seemed no different than the other bolt which would go in. Took the other bolt from a sister hole on the frame to a well stocked hardware and found the problem was fine thread required vs coarse or whatever the others are called. Even a Lowes has a plate with "test holes" in which to screw bolts to determine sizes. Even trying to match up threads of two bolts side by side (fitting one's threads into the other's) can leave you mumbling to yourself and uncertain because the differences are so small.

/ Bolt Size Help #15  
I would love to have the option to take one of those bolts out and take it with me to a good hardware store or a local fastenal. but That is just a picture i found showing the holes i am needing bolts to fit. thanks
Well, if its the same as a MX, I'll be heading down to my shop shortly and can tell you

/ Bolt Size Help
He said in the post #1 he is talking about the holes in front of the existing bracket someone else mounted there. I have to assume he wants to bolt something on there using those two pre-threaded holes. If not, he needs to say so before we waste even more breath.

I found with other Kubotas (like mounting of MMMowers) that they often have threaded holes on the frame which are certainly metric and some at least (I think most) are fine thread metric. Worst case, measure the hole size and go buy a handful of metric bolts to try in the holes each with a different number of threads per cm. Tedious but eventually by cut and try you'll find one that not only fits the hole but will screw all the way in without feeling cross-threaded. It can be tricky. I had need for one more bolt in mounting a MMM, had a metric bolt which seemed to fit but would only go in a turn or two and then bind. Visually seemed no different than the other bolt which would go in. Took the other bolt from a sister hole on the frame to a well stocked hardware and found the problem was fine thread required vs coarse or whatever the others are called. Even a Lowes has a plate with "test holes" in which to screw bolts to determine sizes. Even trying to match up threads of two bolts side by side (fitting one's threads into the other's) can leave you mumbling to yourself and uncertain because the differences are so small.
You have the correct understanding of what I am needing. Yes those empty holes in front of that bracket are what I am trying to find bolts for and yes they are threaded. However this is just a picture I found of someone else's tractor showing the holes. If I had tried to explain where those holes were without the picture I would have had a worse train wreck in the replies. thanks

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Bolt Size Help #17  
You have the correct understanding of what I am needing. Yes those empty holes in front of that bracket are what I am trying to find bolts for and yes they are threaded. However this is just a picture I found of someone else's tractor showing the holes. If I had tried to explain where those holes were without the picture I would have had a worse train wreck in the replies. thanks

OK. The reason I wanted to clarify is that there were several suggestions to take a bolt out and take it to the hardware store. There's no bolt to take out . . .

Still curious --- are you planning to attach something there?

/ Bolt Size Help #18  
Do you have a tap and die set. mine came with cool little thread pitch gauges that would help you find the pitch. it would be harder on a female thread but not impossible with a good light and especially since you say the hole is 16mm. there will be room for the gauge in the hole.

metric thread pitch is millimeters between the threads and use decimals so 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2

I can try and check my grand L4740 but if this is for your new holland the results may not translate.

/ Bolt Size Help #20  
Well....the MX holes are M12x1.25

My money says yours are the same.

Do you have a 1/2" bolt laying around. If it acts just a hair too big it's definitely 12. And you said it's fine thread so that would be a confirmation.

If your machine is like mine....the bell housing bolts as well as the rear axle to transmission bolts are also that size. Find one up top easy to get to, take it out, see if you have a winner. Take said bolt to hardware store if needed. Just don't forget to put it back