Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #21  
If you read the brochure about the tractor, it talks about the temperatures not being too elevated. This engine has been used in other equipment before this tractor and I have never read anything about any issues with it. I read all kinds of issues with engines that go through regen. So far so good for me.

I've read the brochure. I am not indicating there is anything wrong with the Massey engine at all. I would just like to understand the Massey system better. If they are not burning off the particulate, via a high temp cycle, then the system must be accumulating it in which case those accumulating devices would require replacement at some point. Of course, this assumption is based on lack of detailed info which the brochure does not provide. We must keep in mind that Massey points out the fact they don't use high temp burn cycles, but also do not provide clear information on how they do not. It's a bit of misdirection, or don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain. In the end, it's all word games.

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #22  
I've read the brochure. I am not indicating there is anything wrong with the Massey engine at all. I would just like to understand the Massey system better. If they are not burning off the particulate, via a high temp cycle, then the system must be accumulating it in which case those accumulating devices would require replacement at some point. Of course, this assumption is based on lack of detailed info which the brochure does not provide. We must keep in mind that Massey points out the fact they don't use high temp burn cycles, but also do not provide clear information on how they do not. It's a bit of misdirection, or don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain. In the end, it's all word games.

Yes, the dealer told me the DOC would need to be replaced at something like 5000 or 10,000 hours. I cannot remember, but it is hours that I will never see :)

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #23  
Yes, the dealer told me the DOC would need to be replaced at something like 5000 or 10,000 hours. I cannot remember, but it is hours that I will never see :)

Similarly, a DPF will need to be replaced at some point too. I recall seeing an actual number recently, I think it was fairly high too. Regardless, I don't think I'd really worry about one emissions system over another. Each will have issues and may not be widespread systemic, but we really only hear on these forums about the horror stories. Nobody ever comes here to rave about how well their system works. To be honest, my shopping has me looking closely at Kioti and Massey at the moment and the emissions system is really not a major factor simply because I do not have enough long term or engineering information on either one. I'm shopping dealer, features, price, capability.

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M
Understood, but the Massey does have the EGR/DOC system which I wonder doesn't present it's own potential issues. I thought I recalled reading somewhere that this engine EGR/DOC system runs hotter in order to circumvent the need for DPF. So it is burning off the particulate rather than capture it.

My understanding is, from talking with both the Mahindra service guys and the Massey Ferguson service guys, it has a lot to do with the design of the engines itself. From what I gathered it's a combination of an improved efficiency of burn from the compression ratio to the stroke length, the over 2,000bar direct injection fuel system which makes the diesel fuel practically turn into microscopic fuel particles for a cleaner and more even burn, the integrated EGR system to guarantee any left over diesel is burned again, and an improved turbo to further increase efficiency of the engine and reduce the need for more diesel as the revs go up. The less diesel left over after the burn stroke, the less emissions it will create. All of this "auto-magic" is controlled through the ECU. The DOC catches the last remaining unburnt particles and all that's left is just good ol' carbon monoxide and oxygen coming out the pipe. Heck, if it can pass California's emission tests, then it's as clean as it gets lol.

The other big tractor players out there need to get with it. DEF and DPF is starting to die off and better systems are on the way. Yanmar has some non-DPF models already, JD just need to get of their keister and get them in their tractors. Their service departments and their customers would surely be happier. Similar tidings to Kubota, Kioti, and the rest of the DPF'ers as well. Eventually, maybe, possibly, this tech will extend to the big boy engines down the road as well.

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #25  
Got any updates? Went back and checked out and tested the 1735M again and saw a 1740M at another dealer. Have you done any dirt engagements like ripping or discing and how'd it do? My main concern would be where the loader hydraulics lines connections are placed right there behind the tire. Do you find that an issue?

Got any updates? Went back and checked out and tested the 1735M again and saw a 1740M at another dealer. Have you done any dirt engagements like ripping or discing and how'd it do? My main concern would be where the loader hydraulics lines connections are placed right there behind the tire. Do you find that an issue?

Actually I do have some updates. For moving dirt it's really efficient at it. Matter in fact, even with ballast, the loader is able to pick up enough to make the rear bounce a little. My last tractor couldn't ever pick up enough to make it bounce. The loader is great at moving large amounts of dirt on this tractor and the hydraulics are fast and strong but a bit jerky when revved up but smooth when revs are low. I attribute that to the valve still being new. I have stalled it out a couple of times when I rammed it into hills of dirt with the bucket and picking up dirt at the same time when I'm using medium range but it didn't stall in low range. I also always used 4WD when I used the loader because the loads were so heavy the tractor would dig into the ground harder on turns with 4WD off vs on plus it handled better in general.

The loader hydraulic location hasn't been an issue and its even been smacked by limbs a few times already. Unfortunately the hydraulic couplers themselves is where my first major complain comes in. When they get smacked by a limb they pop out sometimes. Not a big deal at all if it wasn't stupidly difficult to put them back in. Even with hydraulic pressure released, the click in and click out design of the couplers suck to work with in my opinion. I wind up pushing on it 5 to 10 times to get them to catch and waste a handful of hydro fluid each time it happens. I would MUCH rather have standard pull back style locking collars instead of these click in/out type. They have down right frustrated me to put back in if they come out. Besides that, it has been great so far. It's a Cadillac of a tractor in comfort and features and a beast at work all around.

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #27  
Actually I do have some updates. For moving dirt it's really efficient at it. Matter in fact, even with ballast, the loader is able to pick up enough to make the rear bounce a little. My last tractor couldn't ever pick up enough to make it bounce. The loader is great at moving large amounts of dirt on this tractor and the hydraulics are fast and strong but a bit jerky when revved up but smooth when revs are low. I attribute that to the valve still being new. I have stalled it out a couple of times when I rammed it into hills of dirt with the bucket and picking up dirt at the same time when I'm using medium range but it didn't stall in low range. I also always used 4WD when I used the loader because the loads were so heavy the tractor would dig into the ground harder on turns with 4WD off vs on plus it handled better in general.

The loader hydraulic location hasn't been an issue and its even been smacked by limbs a few times already. Unfortunately the hydraulic couplers themselves is where my first major complain comes in. When they get smacked by a limb they pop out sometimes. Not a big deal at all if it wasn't stupidly difficult to put them back in. Even with hydraulic pressure released, the click in and click out design of the couplers suck to work with in my opinion. I wind up pushing on it 5 to 10 times to get them to catch and waste a handful of hydro fluid each time it happens. I would MUCH rather have standard pull back style locking collars instead of these click in/out type. They have down right frustrated me to put back in if they come out. Besides that, it has been great so far. It's a Cadillac of a tractor in comfort and features and a beast at work all around.

sweet. so the collars dont twist around and away from that tab to keep them from opening? Or is it a different design? This tractor is at the top of my list unless i go bigger.

sweet. so the collars dont twist around and away from that tab to keep them from opening? Or is it a different design? This tractor is at the top of my list unless i go bigger.

The best way I can describe the hydraulic connections is like pushing a memory card in and out of a camera. You push them in and it's supposed to click in then you push on them again and they click out. Works great on electronic stuff but frustratingly difficult on hydraulic couplers.

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #29  
The best way I can describe the hydraulic connections is like pushing a memory card in and out of a camera. You push them in and it's supposed to click in then you push on them again and they click out. Works great on electronic stuff but frustratingly difficult on hydraulic couplers.
Nice thing is you can change the connections if they are really giving you grief. Nice review by the way. I've been looking at these as well myself. I need a cab for winter duty myself and I'm sick of the open cab freezing. Finally sat in a kabota l3560 this year. And the price of this dealer was ridiculously high. Specced out same machine a half hour drive from me. And was almost 4500 cheaper. And he needed to order it. Nice thing is the massey ferguson has the defroster and rear wiper already added if I'm not mistaken to the cab.

/ Bought a new Massey Ferguson 1735M #30  
Nice thing is you can change the connections if they are really giving you grief. Nice review by the way. I've been looking at these as well myself. I need a cab for winter duty myself and I'm sick of the open cab freezing. Finally sat in a kabota l3560 this year. And the price of this dealer was ridiculously high. Specced out same machine a half hour drive from me. And was almost 4500 cheaper. And he needed to order it. Nice thing is the massey ferguson has the defroster and rear wiper already added if I'm not mistaken to the cab.

It's odd that Kubota still differentiates the US and Canadian models. The Canadian cab models come standard with the rear window defrost, big alternator and wipers. No doubt we pay for that though, LOL But I wouldn't buy without it anyway.

I'm still amazed at the price fluctuations by dealer and region. I recently read a thread where someone got a John Deere cheaper than a Kubota! I have never seen that before, LOL.