Box blade

/ Box blade #1  

bubbu55

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
Interested in box blade, using it for a plethora of projects and will be pretty rough with it. I have a 2008 ck35hst. Want to know should I buy a unit that is a few inches wider than the tires or go narrower, I have read differing opinions on the subject. I think a heavier unit is the way to go, need a unit that is built sturdy. I am leaning towards a unit that is hinged and was wondering if it's worth the extra money? Seems as if it would be. Again I will be using this for ripping and leveling, spreading gravel etc.,etc.

/ Box blade #2  
I like to have it sticking out the sides by 6"... I don't have a hinged back, not sure it's worth it. I would put the extra money into hydraulic top and side links vs. a hinged back panel.

/ Box blade #3  
Interested in box blade, using it for a plethora of projects and will be pretty rough with it. I have a 2008 ck35hst. Want to know should I buy a unit that is a few inches wider than the tires or go narrower, I have read differing opinions on the subject. I think a heavier unit is the way to go, need a unit that is built sturdy. I am leaning towards a unit that is hinged and was wondering if it's worth the extra money? Seems as if it would be. Again I will be using this for ripping and leveling, spreading gravel etc.,etc.
I highly recommend roll over box blades or (ROBB).

I happen to have 3 of them all built by Gannon. A 36" for the garden tractor, a 65" for the 32hp tractor. (very similar in size and power to your CK) and an 81" for the 75hp machine. Gannon no longer builds them, but the Dirt Dog units and the like are the next best thing that are still available.

Without going to hydraulic actuated scarifiers, these ROBBs are a great multi use implement. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 246
  • P4140007.JPG
    P4140007.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 235
  • P4140004.JPG
    P4140004.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 225
  • P4140006.JPG
    P4140006.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 246
   / Box blade #4  
What would possibly be a benefit of having a general purpose box blade narrower than the tractor?

A hinged blade is useful in any concave digging situation. And you can get a bigger bite sooner.

Bruce

boxbladediagram.jpg
boxbladediagramshorttoplink.jpg

/ Box blade #5  
What would possibly be a benefit of having a general purpose box blade narrower than the tractor?

A hinged blade is useful in any concave digging situation. And you can get a bigger bite sooner.

Bruce

View attachment 695554View attachment 695555

AGREE!! Definitely want it wider than your tire tracks. If you're digging, or pulling/pushing dirt, you want your tractor tires riding on the same surface that your box blade is working on. Same with a tiller, snowplow, snowblade, snowblower, etc. Want them all to cover your tires at a minimum.

I don't know about the "hinged" question. I just have a standard box blade (3 point of course). 5' width with blades that cut forward or backward. Scarifiers are adjustable with pins. Not familiar with the "hinged" option.

/ Box blade #6  
I have a CK4220 (Australian model) and use a 1.8m (6 foot) box blade. It is pretty tough going when all six tines are in the ground, so take that into account.

/ Box blade #7  
I've used my 60" wide box blade for years and have been rough on it many times with no damage. I strapped a 55 gallon plastic barrel horizontally across the top for a counterweight and it also helps getting a good bite into hard clay and rocky soils. My gravel drive is very steep and anything wider wouldn't be able to pull a full box uphill.

/ Box blade #8  
I have a Woods BSM84P with stationary blade. It comes with the hinge mounts if you want to switch to a hinged blade down the road or from the get go. It's also CAT 1 & 2 compatible. I consider this unit one step below the Woods/Gannon units with the hydraulic scarifiers.

The BSM84P weighs about 100lbs per foot, with my seven footer coming in at 750 lbs. It is 200 lbs heavier than 7 foot units you'll find at Tractor Supply or Rural King. The Gannon 7 footers come in around 1,200 lbs and would probably be too much for my 55 hp tractor. My tractor tires are 6 feet wide.

IMG_6462.JPEG

IMG_6464.JPG

IMG_6467.JPG

IMG_6468.JPEG

/ Box blade #9  
What's the three anchor points at the back for? The aligned hole on the side panels seems to allow a rod through them, but what for?

/ Box blade #10  
What's the three anchor points at the back for? The aligned hole on the side panels seems to allow a rod through them, but what for?

Those are the mounting points for the optional hinged blade that Woods offers. You just remove the stationary blade like I have on mine and switch to a hinged blade.