Brake lock up - Update

/ Brake lock up - Update #1  

nap61

Silver Member
A few months ago, I posted about my trailer brakes locking up when I plugged it into my '08 Titan. I got some good replies. Rather than bring up the old thread, I decided to post this update. I didn't need the trailer for a while, so it went to the bottom of my to do list. I didn't know if it was the trailer or truck - the brakes didn't lock up on GM trucks. I finally brought it to the trailer shop. They changed the six pin plug for a seven pin plug so that I didn't need to use an adapter. PROBLEM FIXED.
Thanks for the replies.

Norm

/ Brake lock up - Update #2  
yep.. as was mentioned. there are 2 standards.. on many of the 7 to 6 converters there is 1 pair of wirse not soldered liekt he rest, so you can swap then. i think it's brake and power :( thus your lock situation...

/ Brake lock up - Update #3  
That is great information. Thanks for the update and Soundguys clarification.

/ Brake lock up - Update #4  
The reason it did not lock up on a GM is you have to hook up a wire or install a fuse, depends on the year, to get the pin to work that would have locked it up also.

Its always been a issue when converting 6 pin to 7 pin. There was two standards with 6 pin plugs but luckily they manufactures all got together on the 7 pin plugs and did them the same.

Chris

/ Brake lock up - Update #5  
The reason it did not lock up on a GM is you have to hook up a wire or install a fuse, depends on the year, to get the pin to work that would have locked it up also.

Its always been a issue when converting 6 pin to 7 pin. There was two standards with 6 pin plugs but luckily they manufactures all got together on the 7 pin plugs and did them the same.

Chris

That is why I make up my own adapter kits!!!

/ Brake lock up - Update #6  
That was one of the dumbest things I've ever done. Hooked up to a friends equipment trailer parked next to the road, pulled out on the road, headed down a reasonably steep hill. Noticed that the trailer brakes were all locked up tight. Got out of the truck and went back and pulled out the trailer connector. Yup, that was the problem. I could tell because I never set the brake on the truck and when the trailer brakes released I **** near ran myself over. Made record Olympic sprint time outrunning the truck and trailer and making a dive for the open truck door... Doh!

/ Brake lock up - Update #7  
That is why I make up my own adapter kits!!!

on the gm you'd still have to add the maxifuse though... if an older unit anyway..