Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #1  

TheLandofSnipers

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1735M / Ford 2N
Did I just have some bad luck? Or do these things break like this on a regular basis? Another user mentioned seeing a similar break, but wasn't sure if it was a Massey.
KIMG0231.JPG

This broke pulling the same box blade my Ford 2N has been pulling for years. I'm new here and have been lurking and reading up on what you guys thought of various tractors for a while. Finally got the Massey and posted how happy I was and then very next time I use the tractor this happened. I had to leave the the box blade on the far side of the property and go get my old Ford 2N to pick the box blade up and bring it home. Very sad about all this. We spent a lot of money on this tractor. My wife let me get this tractor to replace the old Ford because she wants to turn our property into a real farm and start raising yaks and we needed a better tractor than the old Ford. My wife was about to cry when she saw what happened.

I know, I'm whining like a little *****, sorry. I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
   / Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #2  
Bare weight on your new MF1735M is 3,700 pounds, a big increase over the venerable Ford. That break is Massey-Ferguson's warranty problem now. Tractor warranties usually cover round trip transportation for repair within a limited distance, perhaps 25-miles from the dealer.

I feel your pain.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #3  
Bare weight on your new MF1735M is 3,700 pounds, a big increase over the venerable Ford. That break is Massey-Ferguson's warranty problem now. Tractor warranties usually cover round trip transportation for repair within a limited distance, perhaps 25-miles from the dealer.

I feel your pain.

I don't know of any tractor warranties that cover hauling.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?

I feel your pain.

Thanks. We are less than 20 miles from the dealer, so I guess that is good news. I'm worried it's gonna take them all summer to fix it and I won't get any of the work I scheduled completed.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #5  
I don't know of any tractor warranties that cover hauling.

Idaho is a sparsely populated state.
MF dealer for warranty work could be FAR away!

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence?
Idaho is a sparsely populated state.
MF dealer for warranty work could be FAR away!

The dealer is right down the road. ~20 miles.

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #7  
Your other thread got me wondering about my 1750M so I went and looked at it. I regularly hit roots with my blade that stops the tractor in its tracks but have not broken anything. My casting has supports on both sides. Keep us informed on your dealer/manufacture experience

FC35A879-2BA9-4F06-9E5E-2B2267E47C12.jpeg

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #8  
with only 3 hours on it I would expect the dealer to swap with a new one.
if not
i would expect they give you a new one to use while the other is being fixed

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #9  
with only 3 hours on it I would expect the dealer to swap with a new one.
if not
i would expect they give you a new one to use while the other is being fixed

from your picture there really isnt much strength in the mount. This could be a ongoing issue. Maybe ask to see the next size tractor and swap up

/ Brand new 1735M broke after ~3hrs of use. Is this a freak occurrence? #10  
Just observation but ... IF bolt was too tight it may have causes strain on cast iron main body and cause it to crack, not that you hit anything too hard to snap casting....

And why is there lock washer under nut (or so it appears) when it shroud be loose swivel connection... IF that is setup as it came from dealer, it's dealers problem....

Dale

Last edited: