Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #1  

HIITMan

Tractor
Branson 2400H
I have a Branson 2400H with about 650 hours on it. I was having fuel issues, air in the system. Got that fixed, then while running it just shut down and would start back up. I thought there was still some air in the system. I tried bleeding it, but no fuel was coming out. I heard the fuel shutoff solenoid click in, then I heard it pop back out a few seconds later. I tried it a few more times, same thing. I bought a new solenoid and tried it today, same thing. I checked the fuse, and even removed the fuse completely, the solenoid does the same thing, clicks in then pops back out. At my wits end. I'm no mechanic and we have problems getting a mechanic to come look at it. Any suggestions?

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles
I tested the new solenoid on the bench with a power probe, it works as it should. Could it be the ignition switch?

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #3  
It could be the switch or a fuse is blown. The other possibility is a bad relay. Do you have a volt meter or test light?

I checked the fuse for the solendoid, it is good. I have a volt meter and test light. how do I test the relay, and where is it located if you know.

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #5  
I am not sure on that model but normally they are located on the firewall or under the dash. I have not looked at the wiring diagram but likely there is two relays. One for the pull which works with the key in the on Position and the hold relay that works with the key in the on position.

Now the hold will not activate until the key goes to start then back to on so remember that while testing voltage.

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #6  
Hitman
I have the service manual for the 2400 and should be home in an hour. Let me know if you need wiring diagram for the start solenoid.

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #7  
Just take the solenoid out, take the plunger off and install back in the pump. Back your idle down low enough so you can kill it. If you don't back the idle off, you'll have to snuff the air to kill it. Or check if there is a killer on the side of the pump for the old style red knob pull cable. Sometimes they have both.

You also could have a loose connection. If you fiñd the relay, see if there is another one like it and swap them out. O'Reilly auto is good with relays. On a 1" square relay 87a and 30 closes when it's energized, but you'll have to look on relay, it's been a few moons for me. You'll need power and load to check it. Easier to visit parts house. You can put a test light on solenoid wire with key on, pull relays until light goes off. Then, you will know which one.

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #8  
The service manual leaves a lot to be desired. It does not state or show where the relay is located but schematic does show only a single relay for the stop solenoid.

oldnslo,

I do need the wiring diagram for the ignition switch and relay. I'll give the testing a try.

thank you

Last edited:
   / Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #10  
I hope this electric schematic is legible

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1725.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141