Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles
I used my test light for all of the testing. I connected it to the solenoid plug and turned the key on, one wire came on bright corresponding to the plunger going it, then went out after a few seconds. Then connected it to the other wire, the test light came on dim for a second then went out. The relays are all under the cowl under the instrument cluster. I found one relay, unplugged it, turned the key on, the solenoid still had power to it. I unplugged the other relay, the fuel shutoff solenoid had no power. I tested the plug that goes into the one relay, it has power and does not lose it when the key is turned on. I moved one relay to the other relay plug, no change to the fuel shut off solenoid. I removed the plug to the OPC controller, no power to the fuel shutoff solenoid. I grounded the test light and then touched it to some of the wires on the Controller. One of the wires caused the fuel shutoff solenoid to pull the plunger in and it stayed in, I tried other wires, found one that kicked the starter over. So I put the shutoff solenoid back in and touched the test light to the wire and the plunger went in and stayed in. I touched the test light to the wire for the starter, the tractor started up and stayed running. I plugged the plug back into the Controller, the tractor shutdown. I don't know what I found out. Is it the Controller that is bad or is it the ignition switch. Doesn't seem like to me it's the other relay. Any ideas?

Last edited:
My mistake, the part number HA00000013A is not the starter relay. it's a CONTROLLER, OPC. I don't know what that is.

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #13  
Ok so it works like I thought. There is two glow plug relays but one is powered by the other one and the second one is the pull for the fuel stop solenoid. Then once the tractor starts and the key is returned to on the fuel stop relay is powered to allow the tractor to run. We call that the hold relay. The controller is the glow plug timer and is for all the safety switches to make sure the tractor is ready to start.

Now the hold fuel stop relay should not Energize until the key is moved to the start position and back to on. Just turning the the key from off to on should not energize that relay it must go to start first.

Double check fuse number 4 with your light to make sure power is going through the fuse. To test the stop solenoid you can pull the small wire off the starter to keep the tractor from starting. Just makes it easier to test the circuits.

Once you are ready to test turn the switch to the on position and wait for the glow light to go off then turn the key to the start position for a few seconds and then release key back to on. Then with the clamp part of your test light on a hot wire or positive side of the battery touch the pin part of the test light to PIN number 10 on the glow timer controller. The light should come on.

Hopefully this makes sense and you can follow what I am saying. Once you complete these test them with the results we can go from there.

I think I understand what you are saying. I'll give it a try tomorrow. thanks

Ok so it works like I thought. There is two glow plug relays but one is powered by the other one and the second one is the pull for the fuel stop solenoid. Then once the tractor starts and the key is returned to on the fuel stop relay is powered to allow the tractor to run. We call that the hold relay. The controller is the glow plug timer and is for all the safety switches to make sure the tractor is ready to start.

Now the hold fuel stop relay should not Energize until the key is moved to the start position and back to on. Just turning the the key from off to on should not energize that relay it must go to start first.

Double check fuse number 4 with your light to make sure power is going through the fuse. To test the stop solenoid you can pull the small wire off the starter to keep the tractor from starting. Just makes it easier to test the circuits.

Once you are ready to test turn the switch to the on position and wait for the glow light to go off then turn the key to the start position for a few seconds and then release key back to on. Then with the clamp part of your test light on a hot wire or positive side of the battery touch the pin part of the test light to PIN number 10 on the glow timer controller. The light should come on.

Hopefully this makes sense and you can follow what I am saying. Once you complete these test them with the results we can go from there.
Which one is PIN 10? Is that on the controller or the plug?

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #16  
It should be on the controller but the pin would match I would think.

I'm getting power through fuse 4. On the controller, 3 wires light up. A black wire, a yellow with red stripe wire and a brown wire. Not sure which wire on the plug would be number 10. I've attached pics.
IMG_3013[1].JPG
IMG_3014[1].JPG
IMG_3015[1].JPG
IMG_3016[1].JPG

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #18  
Brown should be number 10

Ok. That wire lights up.

/ Branson 2400H fuel shutoff solenoid troubles #20  
Ok. That wire lights up.
So it lights up with the clamp on positive and using the pin on the wire? If so then the relay should stay in.