Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help!

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #1  

Asparky

Tractor
Branson
Just finished digging a 8/8 foot 4 ft deep hole. Worked great! Then, Noticed I couldn't push the dirt back in (no power) Runs good at idle but even the drive train (wheels) wont move much at all. (very slow moving) I just noticed my BH760 backhoe has a small leak on the hose feeding the joysticks controls on it. cant get any speed out of it trying to move (sluggish). I checked the fuel cap took off and that didn't help. Took air filter out and although a little dirty it didn't help the No Power. Not sure what to check next... would loosing hydraulic fluid affect the drive train. Cant find my manual, but probably would not have helped anyway.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #2  
That hose would be your power beyond feeding the BH valve. I would fix this leak first and replace the fluid you lost. That should get your hydraulics back working.

Not knowing your service schedule, I would suspect it is time to change your fuel filter. Loss of engine power normally points to fuel delivery issues.

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #3  
Hydrostatic transmission? Are the hydraulic pumps making a whining noise? Fix your hose, top up hydraulic fuid and you're back in business. You are wayvtoo low on hydraulic fluid. Cross your fingers that you didn't hurt your pumps.

This situation compares to a car engine running low on oil until the oil pressure light comes on.

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #4  
A Branson R is a gear drive model. There are still hydraulic pumps that could be damaged by running low on oil. But there's a lot of oil in the transmission case. It'd take quite a leak to run it low. It's worth checking but it is probably not the problem.

On a gear model, besides the fuel filter, I'd check the clutch. A slipping clutch can cause those symptoms. Unlike with a car or truck the engine won't rev up when the clutch slips, due to the governor.

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help!
Thanks for the replies!
I made a mistake the leaking hydraulic hose line goes to the Large hydraulic ram on the backhoe. I think I have a repair kit for it. I looked at the hydraulic sight window and it "looks" like no fluid is showing. Will have to crawl into it to get a better look. Need to find out which fluid to use as I see there are several. I'm guessing it goes in an Orange odd rubber shaped plug right by the sight glass, but it just says oil on it, so need to clarify that. I Looked for the manual last night and its still AWOL.. Where the tractor is at is difficult to work on. I'm thinking about filling the hyd fluid till sight glass is full and then trying to move the tractor to a place where I can work on it easier maybe 30 or 40 yards. the Tractor will move slowly but I don't know if that would maybe damage it more. After filling I don't know if I have to bleed it or not for just moving the tractor. Not sure even what type of Hyd fluid goes in the tractor. Not having the manual isn't good..
Thanks for the replys... Any more ideas would be appreciated!

Ron

I'm also wondering about Hyd Fluid as its not showing on the glass. I've never had to put in any. Someone told me Texaco TDH Oil 1893 or Chevron Tractor Hyd Fluid. I know I saw some other recommendations and some to stay away from here but cant find them now.
Thanks
Ron

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #7  
Asparky, other might be following but I need a little more clarification.

When you say the tractor moves slowly, are you saying the engine will run at higher rpm but the tractor moves slow? Does it matter what gear you are in?

My impression was the engine did not have power and would not run well except at idle. I still think you have fuel delivery issue at this point. You might be able to make the move in low 1st gear but it will be slow. If I am correct, if you choose higher gears you might run out of power and the engine die. I do not believe it would be your clutch with the info provided.

As I understand you would have two separate issues. The leaking hydraulic hose and the lack of power.

For hydraulic oil, any universal tractor hydraulic fluid would work. One formulated for wet brakes. Not knowing the hours, it might be time to change filters and fluids anyway. Then you can decide what brand you want to run. I am using Mobil 424 fluid in both my Branson and Kioti.

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #8  
I'm also wondering about Hyd Fluid as its not showing on the glass. I've never had to put in any. Someone told me Texaco TDH Oil 1893 or Chevron Tractor Hyd Fluid. I know I saw some other recommendations and some to stay away from here but cant find them now.
Thanks
Ron

Chevron THF1000 is one of the Branson recommended oils. Mobilfluid 424 also works. It's specs are very similar to the Chevron stuff.

Make sure the tractor is on a level surface before you check or add oil, and add oil slowly. It's easy to overshoot the level and be above the sight glass. Then you have no idea where you are because it looks identical to no oil in the glass. Some oils have dye in them so you can see if that happened but many do not.

If it was a slipping clutch, the engine would rev up normally but the tractor would not move normally. It'd be worse in the higher gears. If it's a fuel flow problem, the engine might rev when not under a load but would not when called upon to make power, i.e. under load.

ericm979
Sounds like the slipping clutch scenario. Engine revs up but very low speed and seems a little hard to get up and go. never gets any real speed up, pretty slow and low gear start only. I've had slipping clutches on older cars but they don't seem exactly the same scenario. Doesn't sound like its slipping at all.
I did remove the fuel filter and its pretty dark dark orange and a little gritty feeling. 5 days to get a new one so going to clean it up the best I can and try and see if it does cure the no power to the drive train until I get the new one.
Not sure where to go from here Maybe have to park it for the winter even though I don't want to.
I don't know how much a clutch is to buy and install but at almost 74 I'm to old to do any of that stuff any more.
Simple maintenance is a hassle enough.
I hope I didn't put to much hydraulic oil in. the sight glass is pretty unreadable.. I see that's a problem.
Is too much fluid as much of a problem as to little. I've seen that question but no answers.
Thanks
Asparky (Ron)

/ Branson 4020R Lost Power Under load Wont move fast at all?? Help! #10  
It would need to be way over full to cause much of an issue,
it could leak out the front of the transmission seal to the clutch.
I routinely run mine a bit over full, on the farm all the tractors are at least 5 gallons over.
We do this because of the hills that are workied.
When I check my Branson I pull over to a good slope and tip the front of the tractor down to see the fluid in the center of the top window,
do wish they had a dipstick instead of the little windows.

As to your other problem I'm a bit confused by your explanation.
If you rev the engine to 2000 rpm with the hand throttle then ease the clutch out in first gear and low range (A),
what does it do?
does the tractor move slowly with the engine rpm staying at 2000 rpm?
Or does the tractor loose rpm and try to die?
If you use 4th gear in your mid range (B) in the same manner does it stall or just creep with the engine speed staying at 2000 rpm.