Branson 4820 problems

/ Branson 4820 problems #1  

alaarp

Tractor
Massey 135, Branson 4820, Kubota BX23S with backhoe, Cub Cadet mowers,
I have a Branson 4820 with about 20 hours on it. So far, a nice tractor and I love using my grapple to lift logs and move brush. My problem/problems are with the Land Pride 4' rotary mower. The tractor chokes down and stalls while cutting field grass. Admittedly the grass has been growing for months but my old Massey Ferguson 135 with a 5' JD mower always was able to bull through, but not this combo. Not only does it struggle to cut the grass, but the fuel usage is much higher, taking about 5 gallons of diesel in just over an hour.
Now the lift won't work. Can't move the mower to a higher setting. Stays down and won't move or even attempt to move.
I have misplaced my manual, so I am in a bind on this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

/ Branson 4820 problems #2  
Somethings wrong for sure , that tractor should handle a 6 foot cutter with ease, Check the 3 pt lift knob between your feet below the seat ,If is turned all the way in the 3 pt wont move. Disconnect the drive shaft on the cutter and see if the blades are turning freely, Using that much fuel could be an issue with the ecu ,

/ Branson 4820 problems #4  
Check the rear remotes are in neutral position. One of them I believe is not spring to center. If it is not centered then it would explain why you can not lift the three point and the pump deadheading would rob your power on the mower. Other than that It should be under warranty and the dealer should be involved.

/ Branson 4820 problems
Somethings wrong for sure , that tractor should handle a 6 foot cutter with ease, Check the 3 pt lift knob between your feet below the seat ,If is turned all the way in the 3 pt wont move. Disconnect the drive shaft on the cutter and see if the blades are turning freely, Using that much fuel could be an issue with the ecu ,
Good advice and I will check all this Thursday which will be my first opportunity. Dont know exactly what the ecu is...is that something to do with regen?

/ Branson 4820 problems
Check the rear remotes are in neutral position. One of them I believe is not spring to center. If it is not centered then it would explain why you can not lift the three point and the pump deadheading would rob your power on the mower. Other than that It should be under warranty and the dealer should be involved.
I will check this also. Good advice, thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems #7  
I do not believe the 4820 has ECU(engine control unit) but rather uses the Data logger to control the regen. It should be basically the same engine that is in mine. The fuel delivery is mechanical so no way for the Data logger to modify fuel.

My bet is on the rear remote valve but could be wrong. Hopefully it did not run very long like that because it is not good for the hydraulic pump.

/ Branson 4820 problems #8  
I use a 6' medium duty cutter with my 4820R all the time without issues. My rear remote levers are stiff and if I bump the standard (spring return) valve lever sometimes it will stay open without me realizing it. The detent valve lever stays in place. I have to watch it carefully with my hydraulic top link. My dealer told me to keep the 3pt down valve all the way open. It helps some.

The owners manual doesn't have any information that can help you. I burn around a gallon of diesel every hour I brush hog so your usage is extremely high. Right after I got my tractor last year, I noticed I was using a lot of fuel. I found a small fuel leak on the fuel pump, which the dealer repaired under warranty without any hassle.

/ Branson 4820 problems #9  
It sounds like you may have had a hydraulic valve deadheading the whole time you were mowing. Fuel consumption should be 1 gallon per hour not 5, and a 48hp machine should be able to drive a 4' mower through just about anything without struggling.

But if the hydraulic system was deadheading it'd be taking about 15hp from the engine, which you might notice.

/ Branson 4820 problems #10  
I will add, along with the hydraulic deadheading suggestions, check the parking brake. Make sure it's off and not stuck on or something. That's burning waaaay too much fuel for just a dead heading hydraulic system.