Branson 4820 problems

/ Branson 4820 problems
I will add, along with the hydraulic deadheading suggestions, check the parking brake. Make sure it's off and not stuck on or something. That's burning waaaay too much fuel for just a dead heading hydraulic system.
All good stuff. I will be checking it out tomorrow. Much appreciated.

/ Branson 4820 problems
I would also check that your PTO is not in "Economy" mode. That can cause it to bog down in heavy grass.
See, that may be partially the problem. I never understood what the difference in regular and Economy Mode was and DID put it in that setting for at least some of the mowing, thinking it might help. Good advice.

/ Branson 4820 problems
I will add, along with the hydraulic deadheading suggestions, check the parking brake. Make sure it's off and not stuck on or something. That's burning waaaay too much fuel for just a dead heading hydraulic system.
Makes sense but I mowed two different days and put the brake on an off each time, so it may not be it, but again, it is worth checking. I am getting good advice from several of you and it is very much appreciated!

/ Branson 4820 problems
It sounds like you may have had a hydraulic valve deadheading the whole time you were mowing. Fuel consumption should be 1 gallon per hour not 5, and a 48hp machine should be able to drive a 4' mower through just about anything without struggling.

But if the hydraulic system was deadheading it'd be taking about 15hp from the engine, which you might notice.
Is there any way to determine if this is the case?

/ Branson 4820 problems
Reply to all who responded. Fixed the hydraulic lift by following your suggestions about the adjustment knob under the seat. I have been using another brand tractor whose seat adjusts using a knob in that location. Lift is working fine now. Seat adjustment knob is smaller and to the driver seat lower right with a triangular knob.

Second item regarding fuel usage. It WAS in the 540E setting for the PTO so I took it out and it ran some better with better fuel usage. Mowed for 2 hours and used less than 2 gallons with was a big improvement. Set the mower cutting depth to a higher setting which helped and we haven't had rain in a week which made the grass clog less. Still concerned about the power issues and I am going to take the tractor in to the dealer in the next week or so.

Bottom line: TBN responders came through for me. I like the tractor until this issue and I will be fixed one way or another. I have operated tractors for years but have only owned/operated a MODERN tractor for months (this tractor). Still in the learning curve about what does what and why. Thanks for your patience.

/ Branson 4820 problems
One other item: Can someone tell me what the PTO 540E setting is for? Thanks.

/ Branson 4820 problems #20  
The E in 540E means "Eco". Basically you achieve the 540 RPMs at the PTO with less engine RPM, typically around 1800 RPM. It will use a lot less fuel as well. Compared to the regular 540, where the engine has to be at around 2500 RPM.

It's mostly used on light to medium duty work, like mowing mostly grass, not too tall. Or if you don't mind going a bit slower, it can do some heavy work as well.

I run most of PTO implements in 540E. I get about 8 to 9 hours on a full tank in 540 or 12 to 13 hours on a full tank in 540E.