breaker and fuse required for welder

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
I am looking to buy my first welder. I've been looking at Everlast Powerarc 200st, powerarc 300st and PowerTig 200 DV. How do you figure out the breaker and fuses required for them. I have someone who will help me wire it up when I buy it and know what breaker and fuse to put it. Thanks in advance

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #2  
The welder you are looking at will have the specs in the manual. The “typical” welder outlet would be 240v and 30 or 50 amps. Most welders don’t need a neutral so using 10/2 wire or 6/2 wire would be appropriate.

/ breaker and fuse required for welder
I think I will get the powerarc 200 ST. Anyone know what breaker this welder uses?

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #4  
I think I will get the powerarc 200 ST. Anyone know what breaker this welder uses?

Use a 50 amp breaker and the correct size wire, then you don't have to worry about it in the future.

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #5  
It come's equipped to plug into a 50 amp outlet but it will run on as little as 30 amp breakers. Everlast intend's it to be used on 50 amps so that's what I would use. You will need at least one neutral (3 conductor wire) just to operate it and possibly two neutrals (4 conductor wire) according to code in many locations.

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #7  
It come's equipped to plug into a 50 amp outlet but it will run on as little as 30 amp breakers. Everlast intend's it to be used on 50 amps so that's what I would use. You will need at least one neutral (3 conductor wire) just to operate it and possibly two neutrals (4 conductor wire) according to code in many locations.

Your comment about neutrals isn’t correct. The welder doesn’t use a neutral for 240v operation and no U.S.A. code requires a neutral for 240v appliances or outlets that don’t specifically require one.
As an example 6/2 copper NM wire is rated for 50a and has two conductors and a ground....no neutral. With U.S.A. split phase electrical the “neutral” for 1/2 the phase is the other 1/2 phase.

The photo in the manual appears to show a 50a plug for this welder.

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #8  
50A is fine.

But the whole issue about neutrals...There are no neutrals in a typical welder circuit. There are only two hots and a ground.

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #9  
No idea of your situation but if you are powering up a garage for a 220v welder and such, you might want to consider a sub panel at least 50 amps minimum but better yet... 100amps wil give you room for another 220 tool or two plus a few other breakers for shop lights and misc 110v tools, even a small heater.

/ breaker and fuse required for welder #10  
Your comment about neutrals isn’t correct. The welder doesn’t use a neutral for 240v operation and no U.S.A. code requires a neutral for 240v appliances or outlets that don’t specifically require one.
As an example 6/2 copper NM wire is rated for 50a and has two conductors and a ground....no neutral. With U.S.A. split phase electrical the “neutral” for 1/2 the phase is the other 1/2 phase.

The photo in the manual appears to show a 50a plug for this welder.

If we are correcting terminology; your reference to split phase is in error. It is either 120V single phase or 240V single phase. 240V single phase has two conductors that measure 240V across the two wires and each measures 120V to ground. There is no specific designation of the phases in a single phase system. Split phase is a specific term for a type of motor winding type.

Ron