Broken hydraulic Cylinder Case

/ Broken hydraulic Cylinder Case #11  
Candidly, looking at the broken off part and all the various threaded parts and bearing surfaces for the rockshaft, if it was mine, I would (and this is just my opinion and what I'd do), is, I'd order a new rear casting and replace it rather than attempt to cobble it back together because no natter how you 'fix' it, it will never be as structurally strong as a non compromised casting and the resale value of the machine won't be good either (once a prospective buyer sees the welding).

I do know what a comparable Kubota rear casting costs, It's around 6 grand for the part on an L model, 15 to repair and replace (labor included). Lots of components to remove, replace and clearances to be set.

/ Broken hydraulic Cylinder Case #12  
Candidly, looking at the broken off part and all the various threaded parts and bearing surfaces for the rockshaft, if it was mine, I would (and this is just my opinion and what I'd do), is, I'd order a new rear casting and replace it rather than attempt to cobble it back together because no natter how you 'fix' it, it will never be as structurally strong as a non compromised casting and the resale value of the machine won't be good either (once a prospective buyer sees the welding).

I do know what a comparable Kubota rear casting costs, It's around 6 grand for the part on an L model, 15 to repair and replace (labor included). Lots of components to remove, replace and clearances to be set.
He said he bought a new cover, so all the things related to the broken rockshaft will be new. The only thing being considered for repair is the 2 broken bolt flanges.

/ Broken hydraulic Cylinder Case
Wow man, that is quite a break. If you have the small pieces of the casting that complete those bolt holes I think they could be welded back together since that casting probably hasn't absorbed any oil and it's got enough mass to be able to sink the heat from welding. Take it to someone who does castings a lot, or take them some photos. If they have a mobile setup they might be able to come to you. The will probably tig weld or tig braze that.
Arc welded with proper materials. Thank you

Candidly, looking at the broken off part and all the various threaded parts and bearing surfaces for the rock shaftt, if it was mine, I would (and this is just my opinion and what I'd do), is, I'd order a new rear casting and replace it rather than attempt to cobble it back together because no matter how you 'fix' it, it will never be as structurally strong as a non-compromised casting and the resale value of the machine won't be good either (once a prospective buyer sees the welding).

Well, I went to blacksmiths, foundries, fabricators, and machining companies, and no one would accept the cast iron failure rate. So, what did I do? I found the same model of the tractor at Richie Bros that also had a heated cab, snowblower, skid steer quick attach, and 3rd function hydraulics. Haven't had time to start it but those parts Imentioned list out at $5700. I paid $5K for a repo-as insurance if my welds do not hold. But there are 7 other bolts so we'll see and I will use a hydraulic skid steer auger in the future.
Thank you

He said he bought a new cover, so all the things related to the broken rockshaft will be new. The only thing being considered for repair is the 2 broken bolt flanges.
Correct.

Wow man, that is quite a break. If you have the small pieces of the casting that complete those bolt holes I think they could be welded back together since that casting probably hasn't absorbed any oil and it's got enough mass to be able to sink the heat from welding. Take it to someone who does castings a lot, or take them some photos. If they have a mobile setup they might be able to come to you. The will probably tig weld or tig braze that.
Thank you sorry for the reply delay. Hurt hand. 8 surgeries. So we welded in two studs and extracted 3rd. Now with two hand I will reassemble. Hope cast iron stud welds hold up but again there are nine total bolts holding cover to gearcase. Fingers crossed.
Got another same year 2400h barn find and it has forward hydraulics, a snowblower,cab,skid steer quick attach. Started stopped and made a significant clang like a rod issue. Don't know where to start. Remove pan? Should I start a new thread? Haven't found any mechanics near Marseilles IL. Any tips on finding one?
20221012_094204.jpg

Thank you sorry for the reply delay. Hurt hand. 8 surgeries. So we welded in two studs and extracted 3rd. Now with two hand I will reassemble. Hope cast iron stud welds hold up but again there are nine total bolts holding cover to gearcase. Fingers crossed.
Got another same year 2400h and it has forward hydraulics, a snowblower,cab,skid steer quick attach. Started stopped and made a significant clang like a rod issue. Don't know where to start. Remove pan? Should I start a new thread? Haven't found any mechanics near Marseilles IL. Any tips on finding one?

Attachments

• 20221012_094204.jpg
    20221012_094204.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 41
   / Broken hydraulic Cylinder Case #18  
Got another same year 2400h and it has forward hydraulics, a snowblower,cab,skid steer quick attach. Started stopped and made a significant clang like a rod issue. Don't know where to start. Remove pan? Should I start a new thread? Haven't found any mechanics near Marseilles IL. Any tips on finding one?
You really need to have a Branson dealer do the replacement, not some shadetree wrench because there are critical clearances that need to be set and it takes specialized tools as well. Does your newly acquired unit have good oil pressure? Rod bearing slop don't clang. It makes a light slapping sound. If you can, remove the entire engine from you broken unit and put it in the new one.

/ Broken hydraulic Cylinder Case #19  
I would investigate to see what the loud clanking sound was.
If possible to pull the pan with the engine still in the tractor I would to look at the bottom and if it has them
the balancers. A loud clank could be a lose flex plate or hydro static drive.
Other wise your engine into the new unit, repair that engine and put it in your old unit with the new cover and now you have two good tractors.

You really need to have a Branson dealer do the replacement, not some shadetree wrench because there are critical clearances that need to be set and it takes specialized tools as well. Does your newly acquired unit have good oil pressure? Rod bearing slop don't clang. It makes a light slapping sound. If you can, remove the entire engine from you broken unit and put it in the new one.
I am an engineer albeit a one-handed one. But I did think of doing a Frankenstein and combining them. Right now I'm looking into the injectir pump. Since it sat I would think the fuel system is a mess. Would there be a way I can send you the video which has the engine audio?