Broken spindle.

/ Broken spindle. #1  

Mace Canute

Elite Member
This weekend the spindle on my JD 3010 broke. :mad: Turns out there was an old crack partway through it and it finally decided to give up the ghost. We figure it had to have been from previous damage that happened before I bought it. It didn't break in the horizontal part either but in the vertical part down at the very bottom.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-axle-3010-what-do-img_20161022_171418065-jpg

The only thing to do was replace it and rather fortuitously my buddy had a JD 4010 parts tractor sitting a hundred feet away just waiting to be a donor. Unfortunately it had the standard John Deere front axle and the 3010's was the Norton/Schwartz style so we had to replace it all. With quite a bit of labour we got the front end out from under it and under the 3010 (direct bolt-in) and it's now back in service.

/ Broken spindle. #3  
It looks as if those front tyres were manufactured in the middle of the previous century. I like that axle, with the adjustable width and turn stop. Do you have a picture of the broken part?

/ Broken spindle.
It looks as if those front tyres were manufactured in the middle of the previous century. I like that axle, with the adjustable width and turn stop. Do you have a picture of the broken part?

That's a web pic I found just to illustrate what the spindle on a Norton/Schwartz style front axle looks like.

I don't have a camera so no pics of it. There's not much to see, just a shaft that has fractured straight across right at the thrust bearing.

/ Broken spindle. #5  
With all the options on those 3/4010's (Std, Hi Crop, Row,Crop) you're lucky he had a compatible bolt-in replacement. Well done you.:cool: