Brought 57 cub home today

/ Brought 57 cub home today #11  
She's a beaut! Gotta love the old iron.

I sincerely hope that Rubbermaid tote is only for mock-up purposes, and that you'll be replacing it with a proper steel toolbox, to stay with the period theme.

/ Brought 57 cub home today
She's a beaut! Gotta love the old iron.

I sincerely hope that Rubbermaid tote is only for mock-up purposes, and that you'll be replacing it with a proper steel toolbox, to stay with the period theme.
That plastic box is temporary. Hopefully, I can locate an old wooden box, that I always used on my previous Cub and Allis Chalmers model C. It worked great for holding a chain saw, a few log chains, and some felling wedges. I sold both of those old tractors, when I had to thin the herd, as I was dismantling a couple of old barns that my great great grandfather had built in the mid 1800’s. I think I saved the wood box, but it’s currently burried under a bunch of stuff in the corner of my new pole barn.

If I can’t locate that old wood box, I will make a new one. I know that plastic one will not hold up very long for woods use. I also used the box for carrying bags of clover, wheat and rye seed, and a hand-held broadcast spreader, while I used those old tractors on a cultipacker.

One of the primary uses of this “new” Cub is going to be for planting wheat an clover over at my parents farm, which is about 20 miles away. That’s too far for driving a tractor down the roads, and I no longer own an equipment trailer. The Cub fits neatly in the 8 ft bed of my 3/4 ton pickup truck.

There is an old 6 ft Bissel drag disk over at my parents place, that I hope this Cub will handle. I doubt it will pull it at the most aggressive settings, but it will probably be ok with it, relatively straight.

I’m also going to cut down an old 8 ft cutipacker, to 6 or 7 ft width. It has a few busted up wheels on it and I gave a neighbor $ 40 for it a few years ago. I did the same thing with another one like it about 30 years ago, and I have been using that one at our place. It will be nice having another one over at my parents, to use with the Cub.

I won’t be planting wheat and clover over there until September. Before then, I will use that Cub for dragging logs out of the woods. Most of their place is wooded and there are hundreds of dead and dying ash trees, that I am processing into firewood.

I have been using my Dad’s Polaris Ranger for that, but dragging logs is tough on that machine’s automatic transmission. The Cub will not suffer from that malady, with its 3 speed manual.

I did some work over at my parents place today. The first pictures is the (6) ft pull-type disk and the (2) section drag that I plan on using over there with the Cub.

The last picture is a big ash tree (about 30” diameter at the base) that fell down across one of the woods trails. It split into (2) sections about 15 ft up. I cleared enough of it to get a truck through the trail. The two top sections are hung up and I plan on dragging them down with the Cub after the ground dries up a bit.

910E92CE-941A-46EC-BD09-3EEAB854CDB1.jpeg

7926D85B-4FFF-4920-8C3C-393370C49F45.jpeg

The new $ 7 ea 6 volt 25 watt sealed beam lights that I bought on e-bay arrived and I installed them today. Unfortunately, I had to modify (cut part of the back out), the oem fixtures to make them fit. I imagine that others, that cost more than $ 40 ea., Would not have needed the fixture mods. I might have forked over the extra dough for those if this tractor was a shower and not a user.
8BFE63A5-D7D4-4A53-A5A6-8E2FDD995C09.jpeg

The e-bay seller claimed they are guaranteed to last as long as the originals. I guess I’ll find out about that. It’s pretty neat that they have a bright and dim setting that works, just like cars have.
FCCB9208-5565-45A0-ADA2-98B203383FA3.jpeg
2884D2EE-D573-4352-BF27-A89B62559DA8.jpeg

I also put a separate switch on the rear light so that I can turn that off , when it’s not needed, and reduce the load on my battery and generator.
3A961369-4C70-4B30-9923-67CFF51077E5.jpeg

Last edited:
With the completion of the lights, the Cub is finally ready for snow plowing, just in time for spring. Actually, it’s not now, because I have a little bit of welding and and straightening to do on the plow frame, before I put the plow back on it this fall.

I moved my boat with the front hitch that I had mounted to the plow frame. That Cub had plenty of hydraulic power to handle the tongue weight of the boat, but the plow frame wasn’t quite up to the task. So much for the hydraulic lift front trailer hitch.

I had to go with “plan B”, no more lift and drilled out the center hole of the newly-installed fixed drawbar to take a ball.
A77AD33C-CD18-404A-8C09-A8506A6EA8AC.jpeg

880811F1-0317-4B32-BA13-F9F1913C5EFD.jpeg

I drove the Cub around a bit after sunset last night, to see how the new headlights worked. They worked very well. The “dim” setting provided just enough light to see ok, and the “bright” setting provides plenty of light for snow-plowing with the front blade.

I’m not sure how the factory “high-low” beam switch works, because it only seems to effect the two new headlights, and not the rear work light. That seems to be equally bright at both settings. I wonder if it cuts the amperage flow in half or something like that. The 25 watt headlights got pretty warm to the touch on the high setting. That should work well for keeping the sleet off of them in the winter unlike modern LED’s which are bright but nearly useless in that respect.

I am going to make a couple more minor changes to the lights before next winter, to get it ready for snow plowing. First, I am going to pick up a small pack of black Flex-seal tape, to cover the openings that I had to enlarge on the back of the headlight fixtures. That will keep most of the rain and sleet out of them, and eliminate the distracting glare coming thru, that I noticed last night.

I’m also going to make a clip-on, clear-yellow lens cover for the rear work-light. I’ve got to get out on the road to get to our house driveway, and I plow the neighbors on both sides. I’d feel a little safer, from road traffic in the dark, with a yellow light on back.

My bigger tractor has yellow flashers on it. Maybe, I’ll shop around for a 6 volt yellow flasher to exchange with the rear work light, over the winter.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #17  
Nice to see the cub still getting things done. Good work. We had one on the farm with the belly mower on it. Tough little tractors for sure.

Nice to see the cub still getting things done. Good work. We had one on the farm with the belly mower on it. Tough little tractors for sure.
This is my second one. I bought the first one, mostly for cultivating corn, but I didn’t care for it for that task. I much prefer the two-row 3-point cultivator, that I use now, on my other tractors. I really missed my old Cub for light snow plowing though. The offset engine was especially nice for that task.

Im looking forward to getting this one on the disk, and seeing how it pulls. That probably won’t be until late summer. I’ve only got one good 6-volt battery right now, and I probably will be moving that from the Cub, over to my 1951 Ford 8n soon. By the looks of the weather forecast, I should be able to start my spring plowing next week.
F35F1F90-20C0-44F2-969C-0818A1A8B4A4.jpeg

/ Brought 57 cub home today #19  
If you are going to get a second battery at some point I suggest finding a 8-volt battery. That is what we ran in all our 6-volt systems and they really improved starting issues.

If you are going to get a second battery at some point I suggest finding a 8-volt battery. That is what we ran in all our 6-volt systems and they really improved starting issues.
Do the 8 volt batteries keep their charge ok with the tractor’s 6 volt generators ? This Cub has good compression and it starts very easily on 6 volts, as does my 1951 Ford 8n. That tractor only has 1200 hours on it. The Cub don’t have an hour meter on it, but judging by the wear (or lack thereof), I’d guess it’s hours are less than 500.

I think some folks do 12 volt conversions, after their engines get worn and loose compression. I’ve jump started my 8n a few times with 12 volts, and it really does spin it fast. I imagine an 8 volt would be somewhere in between. I wonder if an 8 volt battery would last as long as a new 6 volt however. The one I have now is about 4 years old, and I think the previous one lasted more than 10 years.