Brought 57 cub home today

/ Brought 57 cub home today
Another “save” for the Cub this afternoon, delivering gas to my John Deere lawnmower when it ran out on the far side of the lawn:
6A4809B2-C798-4CC4-AED4-8262E56A345B.jpeg

The new tool box rack, that I made for it, works great for a 6 gallon gas can.

I did my first “real” work with the Cub today. It handled my dad’s old 6 ft Bissel disk, at the most aggressive setting, with ease. It also had no trouble with his 8 ft wide 2-section drag, set as deep as it would go.
9966327E-7FBA-4613-96A3-32C17E28171E.jpeg

3FE219B1-68BB-4667-9CE8-1F3FF7EDB73A.jpeg

Best of all, the 8ft box on my old 3/4 ton Silverado fit it like a glove. Try that with a Super A. I’m satisfied that I got my $ 783.17 worth (that’s what I paid for it at the silent auction at work last fall).
4282A91E-BCBB-4ABF-8B60-6B7639557A40.jpeg

I did a little more “real work” with the Cub last weekend. I used it on a 7 ft cultipacker planting turnips. It worked great for that:
577EBDF9-CD35-43EB-ACB6-D875742F3E80.jpeg

I straightened out the plow frame with my 22 ton hydraulic press (log splitter) today. After that, I mounted it on the Cub and used it for pushing up leaves. It works good for that.

05095B46-117C-4AA4-AC39-7B01B75028FB.jpeg

76EC431D-8D00-4265-B6EF-1E9332C6E540.jpeg

A567AC93-9437-4BBD-8F40-7EC28D85D8BC.jpeg

I still need to fix the lights (must be a short somewhere), and mount the rear chains, and then it will be ready for the snow this winter.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #35  
you will find it useless in snow! a inch or two works BUT for REAL snow it gotta be a blower! Got cubs here so I know how useless they are.! lol!

you will find it useless in snow! a inch or two works BUT for REAL snow it gotta be a blower! Got cubs here so I know how useless they are.! lol!
Well that’s exactly the opposite of my own experiences. I can’t stand blowers. They have only worked ok for me on fluffy cold snows. They get plugged up with wet heavy snow, blow it in my face, shear pins and require a lot of maintenance. Maybe they work ok on little city driveways with limited snow storage space, but you couldn’t pay me to own one. I have plenty of space to pile up snow with a blade or loader.

This is my second Cub. After I sold the first one (which was pretty much worn out), the only thing that I missed about it was plowing snow. I really enjoy the job of snow plowing. I only use the Cub on lighter snows. Its small size lets me spend more time enjoying that job. I use a larger, 4wd tractor with a rear blade and a front loader, for the heavier snows.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #37  
A set of wheel weights or loaded tires would make a world of difference on a Cub using that blade. Chains even more, but seeing you have an asphalt driveway that would be a no. If you pulled that spring tooth with no issues, I'd think 4" - 6" of powder snow would be a piece of cake with a set of weights on.

Just like pushing dirt, keeping dirt rolling in front of the blade pushes much easier than a dead load of dirt staying stationary on the blade. Same with snow. I don't know if blade pitch was engineered into the moldboard on those blades, or if it is adjustable, but keeping the load rolling makes a world of difference. It doesn't have to curl and tumble ahead fast, just so you can see it creeping up, and tumbling ahead is what you want.

That moldboard is a lot like a moldboard plow, the shinier the face the less resistance you have so the snow will move on the face of the blade. Stored in an unheated building helps too, to keep snow from sticking to a warm blade causing a lot of resistance. A light spray of diesel, WD-40, or even cooking spray on the surface of the moldboard will keep it slick once it's shined up.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #38  
exactly my point! They are TOYS! For REAL work ya gotta go big! and I only use blowers here. Snow drifts here get deep,-- like 6 feet or more and the full length of my half mile drive! Bring that cub and clean that out for me! LOL!

/ Brought 57 cub home today #39  
exactly my point! They are TOYS! For REAL work ya gotta go big! and I only use blowers here. Snow drifts here get deep,-- like 6 feet or more and the full length of my half mile drive! Bring that cub and clean that out for me! LOL!

Glad we don't have snows like that often here in Central Ohio..!!

I got the Cub ready for plowing today. Ive had the plow on it for a while, but the lights were not working when I tried them a few weeks ago. I had them working in the spring.

The dash mounted 25 amp fuse was blown. I found another in my shop but that blew immediately when I replaced it. 3/4” long, 1/4” diameter fuses were not real easy to find but I did locate some on Amazon for $3.00 each and got a pack of (5).

Before blowing a 3rd one, I checked for a short and found it on the second fixture I checked (front left). A screw connector to one of the new $7, 6 volt lights I installed in the spring loosened up over the summer and caused the hot wire to touch the fixture edge. It was a very quick fix. I put one of the new fuses in and all (3) lights are now working again.

I need the lights for snow plowing because I work full time and then some in a factory all day long, at this time of year, so all of my snow plowing (except weekends) is done in the dark.

I really wanted to get the Cub ready for the early snows, because its plow has very nice, well adjusted shoes on it. If I plow early snows, before the ground is frozen good, with the rear blade on my larger tractor, I end up with lots of stone up on the grass. That’s always a pain to clean up in the spring.

After I got the lights working, I bolted a 150 pound steel plate to the drawbar to increase my rear ballast. The rear R1 tires are loaded and have good tread, so with that extra weight, this little puppy ought to push snow pretty good. I have chains for it also, but I won’t put them on until the ground freezes up.

All I need now is some snow. I can hardly wait. There’s some in the forecast tomorrow. Hopefully, it will be enough to stick and give me some fun work to do. I also topped off the fuel tank with ethanol free gas.
7AED2D6F-8CC4-4E8A-A499-1184C16F1959.jpeg

34099B4B-D631-4149-9008-2EAB5DF3AC5F.jpeg