Brush Hog or Finish

/ Brush Hog or Finish #1  

makwa

Tractor
2006 B3030
Okay, I have a delema I need to fix by tomorrow afternoon.

I have to let the dealer know if I'm going to get the finish mower or the brush hog.
I know it all depends on what I am going to mow but what do all of you use most?

I have about 5 A that I want to mow but it's not yard grass. It's more like field grass.
Would the brush Hog do a well enough job to where the field would look decent and not hacked up?
This picture is the brush hog for around $ 700
I have been reading this board until I can't see anymore.

-Duane

Attachments

• 901745-kubota 018.jpg
    901745-kubota 018.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 592
   / Brush Hog or Finish
Okay, I have a delema I need to fix by tomorrow afternoon.

I have to let the dealer know if I'm going to get the finish mower or the brush hog.
I know it all depends on what I am going to mow but what do all of you use most?

I have about 5 A that I want to mow but it's not yard grass. It's more like field grass.
Would the brush Hog do a well enough job to where the field would look decent and not hacked up?
This picture is the brush hog for around $ 700
I have been reading this board until I can't see anymore.

-Duane

/ Brush Hog or Finish
This is the finish mower for $ 1,700.
Not to sure if this is a good price also as I have been seeing the land prides a little cheaper.

-Duane

Attachments

• 901746-kubota 017.jpg
    901746-kubota 017.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 522
   / Brush Hog or Finish
This is the finish mower for $ 1,700.
Not to sure if this is a good price also as I have been seeing the land prides a little cheaper.

-Duane

/ Brush Hog or Finish #5  
There is no doubt you can use a rotary cutter for "finish" mowing. I wouldn't do it right next to my house as the finish is clearly not as fine, but at a distance it will look very good if cut short enough. I have set mine at about 4 inches and used it like this. In fact, I have about 8 acres that I plan to do this with routinely as soon as I get the rocks out and get a larger tractor/cutter. Up close to the house in areas that folks pay more attention to, I use the mid-mount finish mower.
On the other hand, if the ground is rock free, reasonbly smooth, you plan to keep it mowed routinely, and don't need a rotary cutter for other uses, I would go with the finish mower. It will look better, although arguably only for the 1st day or 2 after you cut it.
BTW, what brand are the mowers you are looking at?
Terry

/ Brush Hog or Finish #6  
There is no doubt you can use a rotary cutter for "finish" mowing. I wouldn't do it right next to my house as the finish is clearly not as fine, but at a distance it will look very good if cut short enough. I have set mine at about 4 inches and used it like this. In fact, I have about 8 acres that I plan to do this with routinely as soon as I get the rocks out and get a larger tractor/cutter. Up close to the house in areas that folks pay more attention to, I use the mid-mount finish mower.
On the other hand, if the ground is rock free, reasonbly smooth, you plan to keep it mowed routinely, and don't need a rotary cutter for other uses, I would go with the finish mower. It will look better, although arguably only for the 1st day or 2 after you cut it.
Terry

/ Brush Hog or Finish
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is no doubt you can use a rotary cutter for "finish" mowing. I wouldn't do it right next to my house as the finish is clearly not as fine, but at a distance it will look very good if cut short enough. I have set mine at about 4 inches and used it like this. In fact, I have about 8 acres that I plan to do this with routinely as soon as I get the rocks out and get a larger tractor/cutter. Up close to the house in areas that folks pay more attention to, I use the mid-mount finish mower.
Terry )</font>
Thanks, That's what I was leaning towards. The Brush Hog.
Not sure of the make. Thay are at the Kubota dealer and I took the pictures while the owner was inside and forgot to look and ask about the brand.
I will tomorrow though.

-Duane

/ Brush Hog or Finish
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( There is no doubt you can use a rotary cutter for "finish" mowing. I wouldn't do it right next to my house as the finish is clearly not as fine, but at a distance it will look very good if cut short enough. I have set mine at about 4 inches and used it like this. In fact, I have about 8 acres that I plan to do this with routinely as soon as I get the rocks out and get a larger tractor/cutter. Up close to the house in areas that folks pay more attention to, I use the mid-mount finish mower.
Terry )</font>
Thanks, That's what I was leaning towards. The Brush Hog.
Not sure of the make. Thay are at the Kubota dealer and I took the pictures while the owner was inside and forgot to look and ask about the brand.
I will tomorrow though.

-Duane

/ Brush Hog or Finish #9  
Maybe too late for your decision, but I have both, and I use the finish mower 99% of the time and the rotary once a yr, if that. It really depends on what you are mowing and how often. I used the rotary a lot to get things cleaned up and manageable, and now I can mow about anywhere with the finish mower. After hay is made, I keep the fields mowed down with the finish mower.

/ Brush Hog or Finish #10  
Maybe too late for your decision, but I have both, and I use the finish mower 99% of the time and the rotary once a yr, if that. It really depends on what you are mowing and how often. I used the rotary a lot to get things cleaned up and manageable, and now I can mow about anywhere with the finish mower. After hay is made, I keep the fields mowed down with the finish mower.