Rotary Cutter Brushog boggs down too easy?

/ Brushog boggs down too easy? #1  

sksmsllc

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TC48DA 4x4
My squealer 172 keeps stalling even in easy grass conditions. Does anyone know the possible cause of thIs symptom?

/ Brushog boggs down too easy? #2  
My squealer 172 keeps stalling even in easy grass conditions. Does anyone know the possible cause of thIs symptom?

I have the same Bush Hog..Squealer ....Are you at 540 rpms ? That's all I can think of ...not enough power unless you are in high gear and moving along too fast, if it's not high grass....You say grass conditions...but if that grass is real thick ..it can bog you down according to the power you are putting to it...

/ Brushog boggs down too easy?
I have the same Bush Hog..Squealer ....Are you at 540 rpms ? That's all I can think of ...not enough power unless you are in high gear and moving along too fast, if it's not high grass....You say grass conditions...but if that grass is real thick ..it can bog you down according to the power you are putting to it...

Thanks for the reply. Another symptom - no squeal when I engage PTO

Also, there is no squeal like there used to be when I engage the PTO

/ Brushog boggs down too easy? #5  
Sharp blades and a slower speed should solve the bogging down.

/ Brushog boggs down too easy? #6  
It may seem counter intuitive, but tall thick grass can be some of toughest material to bush hog. Try a slower wheel speed in these areas where your bogging down as your tractor isn't making enough horsepower to power through these spots. It's much less likely that the bush hog itself is failing. If it was, I'd suspect it would be fairly obvious.... i.e. Huge vibration, gearbox smoking, gearbox seizing, something like that

/ Brushog boggs down too easy? #7  
Something is slipping. Do you have a slip clutch on the bushog. ... or ... Does the PTO shaft from the tractor slow down when the bh bogs?
larry

Yes PTO slows to a stop when it bogs. Maybe clutch?

It's supposed to have a slip clutch

Something is slipping. Do you have a slip clutch on the bushog. ... or ... Does the PTO shaft from the tractor slow down when the bh bogs?
larry

Should I add gear oil to gear box?