Bucket Edge Protector

/ Bucket Edge Protector #1  

Reb954

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2565
I have seen on here where various people built bucket edge protectors to reduce damage to lawns and such. This weekend I decided to build one and mounted some angle iron with slots for chains on top of the bucket. I should have taken more pictures but didn't.

IMG_0943[1].JPG

As you can see, I slotted a 1/2" pipe to slip over the bucket edge. I left the ends long and unslotted so the pipe held its shape. Next I welded 4 each 1/8" x 1-1/2" strap to the pipe running underneath the bucket and a few inches up the back. I then welded chain to the ends of the strap. Those chains ran up the back of the bucket to the angle iron I had previously welded to the top of the bucket. I used cheap binders to tighten up the edge protector. Once everything was mounted I cut the pipe off about 1/4" from the ends of the cutting edge, then hammered over the pipe ends so they had no sharp edges and would hold the pipe centered on the bucket. Time will tell how good it works but I liked it enough I am thinking of making one for the snow blower on the back of the tractor.

IMG_0941[1].JPG

This is the angle iron welded to the top of the bucket for doing chain work. I used 1/4"x3"x3" angle, I would have preferred 3/8" thick but couldn't find any around here. The slots are cut for 3/8" chain but hold 5/16" chain just fine. My previous tractor had one of these on it. It is a very handy feature if you use chains much.

IMG_0945[1].JPG

So far we haven't had much snow so other than testing the edge protector yesterday the tractor hasn't even been out of the shed. The ATV above is all I have needed to clean the sidewalks and such.

/ Bucket Edge Protector #2  
Good idea. :thumbsup: