Bucket Forks

/ Bucket Forks #12  
Glenn, try the bottom right hand side of this page http://www.tractorsupply.com/catalog/hardware/p341.htm to see what chain binders are; also known as chain booms, binders, forged load binders,E-Z Pro Easy Release Binder, etc. If you attach both ends of a chain around something and then have some slack, you hook the binders to the chain in two places, close it, and the slack you took up between the two binder hooks is the "loop."

Bird

/ Bucket Forks #13  
Bird, thanks. I see that this has something to do with the evil, forbidden practice of chain lifting, so I should probably just avert my eyes. Anyway, so you use this thing to "shorten" a chain so it pulls tighter.

/ Bucket Forks #14  
You've got it, Glenn. Maybe they should have called them chain shorteners or chain tighteners; might have made more sense. But regarding <font color=blue>the evil, forbidden practice of chain lifting</font color=blue>, you'll probably get over that someday and find that you need to engage in that practice, too, very carefully of course./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Bucket Forks #15  
In fact, I think I used to call them 'chain tighteners,' but 'load binders' seemed to be the more common term. Guess it should be up to me to clarify things if I use obscure terms. So thanks from me too.

So now that 'load binders' is understood, I'll say that binders are very useful, even essential, for anybody who deals with chains and loads.

The problem is that there always is slack in chain secured with grab hooks, because a link has to be turned sideways to insert it into the grab hook slot. If it's important that a load can't shift at all, then binders have to be used.

Yes, and I succumbed to evil a couple days ago-a chain and bucket lift. Well, I'm not sure how else to get a 500# chunk of granite out of a 5' hole that had to be used the next day. My backhoe might have lifted it, but the hoe wasn't on, and it was starting to rain. I slowly lifted until the bottom of the rock was still hung on the edge of the hole and then drove backwards slowly. If the lift was fast, then the bucket could end up over the tractor, and there would be a 500# pendulum swinging towards the tractor when the rock cleared the hole. When I came on the scene, guys had tried splitting the rock with sledges and pulling it up the side of the hole with chain to a 4x4 trailer hitch. These methods aren't exactly safe either.

/ Bucket Forks #16  
TWINKLE_TOES... I'm a new guy also. Re: bucket forks...check some postings in other sites. Some really wise ideas and experiences are detailed.
Your posting is drawing some knowledgable people. Good Luck....also,
Welcome! You've joined a forum peopled by straight-forward, helpful members. Also, for a bunch of guys(I haven't come across any ladies) who work on tractor-related machinery, there's no swearing! Pretty classy when you read a posting about a member's clam hitch'in, forter mork'in,
tramis flink'in tractor
experience narrated without one coke sack'in
expletive!
I guess you don't need to call a grudgen pin installation
the, "gdcssobmfah," reason you crushed your thumb with the spanner.
Anyway, this place is fun.
Shoot me a msg some time. I'm over in Gig Harbor, off Hwy 16...Lazy K Stables, Inc....been here about ten years...formerly from southcentral and north slope Alaska.

LazyK.gif

Lazy K - Chip

/ Bucket Forks
Chip,
"Way Cool" (Bill Nye) signature icon. I agree, this board is laced with sincere really helpfull people, with a collective knowledge measured in milleniums. There is at least one lady on this board, the Queen of the shoppers. She just outfitted her spread with a new Kubota and a complement of attachments that will bring tears to your eyes (uppermich I think was the handle). I'm sure there are more. With handles like Twinkle Toes who knows? I haven't seen a single post about bad spellen or grammmer. More focus on the content.
Gig Harbor, Sandy Loam-Life doesn't get any better than that. Could you fax me over, say 20 yards, for my clay garden? I live just across the sound in south King county. I fish Pt Defiance when ever I get a chance.

/ Bucket Forks #18  
Re: Bucket Forks/Tinman!

Hey Tinman (it's been raining a bit here...hope you're not too rusty to answer :)

I've been considering separate loader forks (not bucket mount) also. I think another benefit may be that you can drive the extended fork/pallet combo further-forward, to position it between other stuff on each side, without being stopped as quickly by the greater-width of your loader bucket. This reduces the hassle/damage of having to "push" the pallet into position w/ the tips of the forks.

Good to hear you're so pleased with your set-up.
(Do they have a "guard" to prevent the load from rolling off toward the operator?)( How much do they weigh?)

Can you tell us the brand/model, and give a dealor so we can pursue more info?

I have no idea how many "makes" there are of this type of forks... so I'm open to any and all comment.

Thanks,

Larry

/ Bucket Forks #19  
I had good luch with a set of Gannon forks. You weld the hooks on the top/back of the loader bucket. They attach is a few seconds. You just drive up to them with the bucket dumped. I think they were about $350.

/ Bucket Forks
Roger,
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Good looking tractor, a tad bigger than my B21.
I like that setup. I don't plan on lifting much more than brush piles, so I think these will work well on my rig. Thanks again.