Bucket Forks

/ Bucket Forks #21  
Twinkle Toes,
My pleasure. These specific Gannon forks are rated for 2500lb. Gannon makes a smaller model with 1500lb capacity. I went with the larger forks to get the extra length. My lifting is limited by the loader to ~1000lbs which will move just about anything I need to lift. I plan to increase the loader cylinder size to get more lift for digging. The tractor is counter weighted with the backhoe or box scraper and the rear tires are filled with antifreeze/water.

/ Bucket Forks #22  
I too have a set like that. They are a pain in the butt to use for log moving and picking up stuff in woods as the forks flop around (and BANG) when you tilt the bucket. I'm thinking of adding some sort of strap/chain around the bottom below the loader bucket to retain them against the lower loader edge, and run the strap or chain up the back of the bucket.

Has anyone else had to deal with this aspect?

I have a attachment that replaces the loader bucket on my Ford which I made by attaching a rear pallet fork setup to the remains of my original loader fork attachment (that I bent and cracked). It is super, you have precise control of where the Fork tips are.

However it requires pulling the bucket which is a hassle, I find myself not doing it and trying to make do with just the bucket, and/or hand grunting stuff, neither of which makes sense.

The Gannon forks REALLY do go on and off in seconds, after just a couple of tries, if I put the Forks on flat ground I can put them on without getting off the tractor, and just a second of flipping the levers with my pinkie finger and back on the tractor and can take them off. I like the ability to let them float (SOMETIMES!) which allows me to back drag my work area to keep it flat and smooth, essential for safety and my nervous in-the-gut tiltmeter. If I can just get around to making a strap setup to retain those forks I'll be in 7th heaven! You can reposition these sideways, which my rigid ones don't allow, which makes it possible to pickup all kinds of goofy things.

/ Bucket Forks #23  
Roger, great picture. That looks just like a fancier version of what I built myself for my tractor, except I don't have the hooks on the ends; just plate steel with a hole in it so I have to get off and put the ends of the top pipe through the holes, then stick pins (actually bolts) in it so it can't slide out. Then my center hook is actually a tow hook that I bolt on with a single bolt. And like del, sometimes it is a nuisance when you dump the bucket and the forks can swing forward and back into the front edge of the bucket.

Bird

/ Bucket Forks #24  
Looks like you already have a lot of good advice so far.

I really like the Kubota factory fork attachments. They require the quick connect bucket attachment and as a result are expensive. They have some very redeeming features, though. They are really well made and are as permanent as the loader bucket. After you add them, your bucket also is easy to remove. They have a nice protective fence to keep loads from dumping on you or the tractor. They are adjustable in width and just plain better engineered than the add on forks which are ok for small jobs, but can be dangerous as the load is carried so far forward on the tractor.

Everytime I find something from Kubota that I think costs too much, after a lot of research, I find out that they really did do their homework on their attachments.

/ Bucket Forks
Thanks Wen

I like the way you think. This is the primary reason I went with the B21 front loader and Backhoe. I just figured Kubota would do a better job of matching the backhoe to the tractor. I looked at a lot of tractors with a variety of backhoes, but the Kubota rigid on the B21 was the winner. So far I don't have any complaints, other than the operator needs serious help. I'll take a look at the Kubota forks.

/ Bucket Forks #26  
Re: Bucket Forks/Tinman!

Ihsmith,I believe they are made by Kubota themselves. They are first class equipment and cost me right at $1200. They do have a back guard to keep something from falling onto the operator. The model number is L-2077A for the fork frame, 42" forks,(adjustable and different widths available) and a BL-1767 for the quick coupler kit which allows you to disconnect the bucket and attach the forks. As far as weight I would be guessing but they are probably 350-500lbs total. I bought them from Linn Benton Tractor Co. in Albany, Oregon 1-541-926-1811. They are a first class operation and ask for Don, the owner.

/ Bucket Forks #27  
Re: Bucket Forks/Tinman!

Tinman,

Thanks for the response! By a happy coincidence, I'm in Dallas, Oregon, myself. so I will talk to the Albany dealer.

Chances are I will be buying a JD4700 next Spring, so I may not be able to make use of the Kubota rig, but I'll talk to the dealer... see if he has any ideas for me.

Larry

/ Bucket Forks #28  
Looks like a pretty good set up. I'll make a couple of comments in comparison to my 3ph forks that might help evaluating such units.

First, a backrest is very important to keep loads from falling off the back. In the picture, the forks have a fairly tall backrest, but the loader bucket is large. I wonder if units for small buckets have lower backrests that would limit the height of loads? My 3ph forks have a two section expanding carriage which extends about 10' high when fully raised, and 5' is always over the load . I just moved a 4' x 6' x 7' shelter for my township. I simply put it on the forks and strapped it to the carriage about 6' up. I don't think I could have done the job safely with some types of forks.

Second, my forks are 2-piece instead of a solid 'L' hinged at the top. The vertical backrest is hinged to the top of the carriage, and the forks are hinged to the bottom of the backrest. In this arrangement, the backrest and the forks can move independently, and the forks can fold up vertically.

The hinging also means that the forks can run under a load on uneven ground without the tips digging in or the backrest moving. The double hinging also makes it easier to get pallets off the forks.

I haven't used a 'solid L' type of forks, but I suspect that my double hinged forks make getting loads on and off the forks much easier.