Bucket level indicator rod---useful?

al3

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110, X500
After some 17 years I finally bent the bucket leveling rod/indicator. Remember looking at the assembly the day I bought the machine thinking it wouldn’t survive. Guess I wont miss it. Made no practical difference on piles of aggregates till I got to the very bottom and then the ground rarely was level anyway.

Am I missing the boat here? Anyone find these things to be indispensable?
loader indicator bent.JPG

daman1

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E TLB
After 17 years I would suspect your experience would come in the play and you wouldn't need that rod on there anymore

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
I don't think indispensable but handy at times.
On my CUT I replaced my steel rod with a fiberglass one that I made from a discarded chimney sweeping rod.
The 'glass rod is more forgiving being somewhat flexible plus it won't rust.

Roadworthy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
To each his (or her) own. I find it a useful if unnecessary indicator. I'll keep mine though I could definitely do without it.

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
I like the one on mine since the top of the bucket is not parallel to the bottom so It can't be used as a reference. For me it is more important when using on the lawn to scoop material so I don't tear up the turf.

sea2summit

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Between the grapple, forks and bucket there are three adjustments I'd have to make for it to be useful. I don't really mess with it or pay attention, I should probably set it for forks at truck bed level though :unsure:

Bearsixty7

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
Between the grapple, forks and bucket there are three adjustments I'd have to make for it to be useful. I don't really mess with it or pay attention, I should probably set it for forks at truck bed level though :unsure:
Could you just mark the side of the rod where you could see it with a different color paint marker for the forks and the grapple for a level reference?