bucket level indicator

/ bucket level indicator #61  
I'm a bit baffled why someone would state that nobody "experienced" would ever use a level indicator. I've been using tractors, skids & most everything that has a blade/bucket etc for a little bit longer than a day or two 😅.

Almost every piece of equipment I've used has had (or used to have - broke off) a level indicator that is used by most operators. I can possibly understand "IF" the individual thinks that the "Only" type of indicator are the pipe in pipe type - which Are accurate if setup correctly. On my cab Mahindra, as well as several other cab tractors I've used over the years, I can NOT see the edge of my bucket/blade. My pipe in pipe indicator was broke off when I purchased it and Mahindra wants close to $200 to replace. Although I could have fabbed one up, I decided I'd go one better.

I picked up a 7" front & rear view camera on that big river place online for about $35 with 2 wireless cameras. On up front & one on the back, both just under the cab top. What is really nice about this setup is that I can see the leading edge of my bucket, forks, blades etc and when I'm doing really dusty work, I can see exactly what my 3PH implements are doing - especially useful when not working on "groomed" land. Being up under the cab top, the camera doesn't get nearly as dusty/muddy/grassy etc as the back window dies and I can see a real-time color image of what is going on.

Guess I need to get off my soap box again 🙂🙃😉

/ bucket level indicator #62  
Do any of you guys use that thing?
I got one on my tractor but it seems to be kind of unhelpful. I think I do better just looking at the load.
I've been using the loader for a few years now and use the indicator all the time. Not sure when I'll cross the line from beginner/novice to whatever it is that makes me a not beginner/novice. If anyone can quantify that feel free to pitch in.

/ bucket level indicator #63  
Don't think experience has anything to do with using the bucket level indicator. A fel tractor is a poor substitute for a skid steer as far as leveling and loading work are concerned imo, the main thing that makes it a poor substitute is that when you operate a skid steer/track loader you can visibly see the leading edge of the bucket. For my operation it doesn't make sense for me to have a ss and a fel tractor, but after years and years of operating both, I definitely see the advantage.

/ bucket level indicator #64  
I did/ do the same thing. Leveled the bucket perfectly and then cut the excess rod off flush with the top of the tube. There is still too much rod to fall out of the bottom of the tube even in full dump.

/ bucket level indicator #66  
Do any of you guys use that thing?
I got one on my tractor but it seems to be kind of unhelpful. I think I do better just looking at the load.
Every wheel loader I ever operated had some form of bucket level indicator, from mid 80s Deere loaders to mid teens Cat loaders, all of them have it. All of the newer ones had a self leveling bucket option also. I like it on my little Ford New Holland, it is really helpful to keep the bucket from digging up the driveway when I want a bucket of gravel from a pile, or when using my 2 prong hay spear as pallet forks
It’s a beginner thing, no experienced operator needs them
I'll let all the loader operators I know that they are all still beginners. LOL

Last edited:
   / bucket level indicator #67  
I use it mostly when backfilling trenches I have dug with the mini-ex. I can make it perfect every time and not scrape anything but the dirt I dug. Dont miss anything and dont gouge up the undisturbed ground.
My first tractor did not have one and if I was doing "delicate" work I spent WAY to much time getting on and off the tractor to make sure I would not screw up what I was trying to fix. The two tractors I have now both have one - serious time saver!!

/ bucket level indicator #68  
Had on on my previous tractor and made use of it often. Then I caught it on a tree...that was the end of it. Missed having it, but got by; Miss it on this one.

/ bucket level indicator #69  
It’s a beginner thing, no experienced operator needs them

Yeah. Especially if that operator works a full time job jockeying the same ONE tractor that somebody else owns.

Ha. Ha. Ha. :p

/ bucket level indicator #70  
These things are definitely handy, Raul-02, if you learn how and when to use it.

For instance, if I'm on level ground, and want to use the loader to set up for safe, stable backhoe use, I want to know my loader bottom contact patch is as large as possible, so I'll want it level. It shows me that.

I occasionally pick up something in the loader bucket that is wet, and I want it to drain a bit before offloading. It allows me to know that it's tipped down, slightly - or more, or even more.

Aquamoose's point is real good. Pallet forks! (You often can't see the end of 'em.)

And like DK35vince mentioned: grader work. When my tractor was new and I was learning it, one of my first efforts was to try to skim about 3" of sod off an area, without going deeper into the topsoil. I found out that, by using the indicator, I could tip down and take the bite I wanted - all being done in an area the operator can't see. (Also found out all bets are off if there's a left/right slope; the one side cut down 6" and the other not much at all.)

'Experience' may indeed enter the equation. But the operator has to be experienced enough to know how use it and when to rely on it. ~Lefty7