Building a Green House.

/ Building a Green House.
This is where I'm at as of last night. Supposed to rain today, hopefully not much I'd really like to get the trusses up today.

IMG_1344.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG

/ Building a Green House. #12  
Nice seeing how quickly you are moving along. Here in East Texas, I've been struggling to find a concrete contractor to pour the pad for my garage. Seems like they are too busy, don't know how to schedule trucks, or they have moved away. Moving away has been my biggest issue with these guys, I've never been able to use the same crew for a second time.

Nice seeing how quickly you are moving along. Here in East Texas, I've been struggling to find a concrete contractor to pour the pad for my garage. Seems like they are too busy, don't know how to schedule trucks, or they have moved away. Moving away has been my biggest issue with these guys, I've never been able to use the same crew for a second time.
Sorry to hear about those kind of problems Eddie.
I have used the same concrete guy since I moved up here. He does good work and is very reasonable on the price.

If the weather doesn't hold me back I should have it all framed this week. Waiting for metal and translucent panels will take at least a week though.

/ Building a Green House. #14  
We're still in a building boom here, so everything is hard to get. I'm amazed that you are able to move along so quickly, out in a much more rural area then I'm in.

We're still in a building boom here, so everything is hard to get. I'm amazed that you are able to move along so quickly, out in a much more rural area then I'm in.
I have saw mills very close to me for rough cut stuff and a Home Depot 75 miles away.
In a worst case scenario, Salt Lake is only 3 hours away.

/ Building a Green House. #16  
A greenhouse in on our list to build as well, but it will be a little while yet.

About those geo thermal loops. I can see them working in the cold regions of the US as long as they're below the frost line. But, what about down here in the south? Anyone have experience with them in the south. The only thing I have is that my well driller tried 2 things and said it wasn't worth the effort. 1) Since he's a well driller, he drilled well holes for a geo-thermal Air Conditioning system and said it was not cost effective. 2) He dug a root cellar, but the top was covered with the floor of a porch and the "roof" was uninsulated so that doesn't really count in my book.

What I've read about the geo-thermal tubes is that they have to be down about 8' and use a small fan to move the air thru them.

My buddy built a green house using geothermal as a heat/cool source. He ran loops of pipe about 5 feet down that goes into a large 1500 gallon open water tank in the greenhouse. It creates a huge heat/cold sink that regulates the temperature in the greenhouse to a constant temperature, while adding humidity. He does have it plumbed into a boiler that does come on to keep the water 55* in the winter if needed. It's a slick set up. He has it set up in Steamboat Colorado and it funny to see feet of snow outside of it all winter, while it's tropical inside.

/ Building a Green House. #18  
How are you going to vent it in the summer? Power vents? Blocking the north wall with insulation and 50 gallon drums full of antifreeze will cut the winter heating bill.

/ Building a Green House. #19  
That is a dandy sized greenhouse. Would love to have a greenhouse at some point. will be interested in seeing you finish this out.

How are you going to vent it in the summer? Power vents? Blocking the north wall with insulation and 50 gallon drums full of antifreeze will cut the winter heating bill.
Up front I'll just open the doors to vent but eventually power vents will be coming. I do not plan to use it during the winter for growing. I need it just to have a garden in the summer. Cold nights and lots of critters wanting to eat a nice garden.