Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #31  
"Look in the pic you edited. Just behind (to the left) of pin C you will see the mechanical stops for the old setup"

totally agree, it should be easy to add a piece to your bracket that would contact the original stop.

Great job, enjoy seeing other folks projects.

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #32  
Okay, that stop may be to keep the cylinder from touching point A and bending the rod.

AND so you dont bust the front off the cylinder...;)

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #33  
For those wondering why a stop is used remember that the piston of a Hyd. cyl is only held in with a snap ring.

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota
Yeah.. the stops are intended to prevent the rod from touching the loader arm. There is more travel available in the cylinder, but overtravel is limited by the mechanical stops welded to the loader arm. I'm going on the conservative side, and intend to leave a little bit more clearance between the loader arm and the rod than was originally provided.

It's tricky moving it now, the left side cylinder only moves when the right side has reached the end of it's travel, so the side that IS moving goes twice as fast. This is why the cross bar is needed, to keep everything in sync with no implement attached.

The holes C and D are slightly upward offset from the originals to keep the loader geometry the same with the bucket pushed ahead 3 inches. The spacing is the same, it's an optical illusion.

Sean

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #35  
AND so you dont bust the front off the cylinder...;)

What keeps the lift cylinders from busting the front off? I have never seen a lift arm stop. The last three FEL's that I have owned did not have a bucket stop. The cylinder is weakest as far as bending the rod, when fully extended, maybe the stop allows them to use a cheaper cylinder, with a smaller rod diameter.

A cylinder can have an internal stop collar to make it stronger fully extended, but that shortens the stroke.
Heavy Load.gif

It can also have a internal cushion system.
Cushion.gif tierodcyl.gif

For those wondering why a stop is used remember that the piston of a Hyd. cyl is only held in with a snap ring.

All of the ones I have worked on have a nut on the end of the rod. Like these:
DesignFeatureNew_1s1.png ag cylinder_small.jpg cylindercutawaysmall.jpg

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #36  
The 4 that i rebuilt were Kubota and they were snap ring style.

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #37  
The lift cylinders dont get to full extend often. And when they do, it is under hydraulic pressure only. No outside influences are able to act to add MORE force or speed UP how fast the loader raises, like there is with the dump function

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #38  
If the pivot hole and the cylinder hole on your bracket are the same exact distance apart as the holes on the bucket you will not have a problem as Kubota has already done the engineering so you don't have too! They have to be the same or else you could have a problem! Also I noticed that in your full dump picture that you can look through the hole in the side plate and see your cylinder rod. If that hole is for a tie rode to connect both sides of your QH when it is dumped you will wreck your cylinder rod or the connecting rod! You should reevaluate that hole and adjust it accordingly so it wont ruin anything.

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #39  
Subscribed for future reference:)

/ Building an FEL quick attach for an L3400 Kubota #40  
If the pivot hole and the cylinder hole on your bracket are the same exact distance apart as the holes on the bucket you will not have a problem as Kubota has already done the engineering so you don't have too! They have to be the same or else you could have a problem! Also I noticed that in your full dump picture that you can look through the hole in the side plate and see your cylinder rod. If that hole is for a tie rode to connect both sides of your QH when it is dumped you will wreck your cylinder rod or the connecting rod! You should reevaluate that hole and adjust it accordingly so it wont ruin anything.

:confused: