Building permits required???

/ Building permits required??? #42  
LBrown59:

4*I'm glad we don't have such government bureaucracy here in my county .
There is no building code or building permits so no need of a building department.
Hain't freedom wonderful!

So, still want to claim you don't have a building department?

Washington County, Engineering Department requires a permit, as do all counties, to connect a driveway to a county road!! Of course they do. Again, Washington County does indeed have codes and permits. No doubt it is a easy going, rural minded, and friendly county. I'll be it is. But to continually state that it is some kind unruly frontier with no permits or nothin' is simply an inaccurate portrayal. Period.

/ Building permits required??? #43  
Around here if it is not attached to a stucture it is a whole differant ballgame.
We wanted to hook power to a building like the one in question and was told that it was going to cost thousands of dollars for poles and wire and install,...
but, if it was a free standing temp service it was 400 dollars, well long story short we ran a 10 foot piece of wire from the temp to the building and 19 years later its still the same way running just fine on that $400.00 temp service.

/ Building permits required??? #45  
LBrown59:

4*I'm glad we don't have such government bureaucracy here in my county .
There is no building code or building permits so no need of a building department.
Hain't freedom wonderful!
So, still want to claim you don't have a building department?

1*Washington County, Engineering Department requires a permit, as do all counties, to connect a driveway to a county road!! Of course they do.
I have lived along side a state highway since 1966.
Since it's a state road I had to get a permit for a driveway culvert from the state not the county.

/ Building permits required??? #46  
This is for business /commercial and other public structures.
It does not cover private property such as an individual homeowner.

LB is correct on that one. The OBC (as it's now called) only covers 4-family and larger and commercial. No 1-2-3 family dwellings.

/ Building permits required??? #47  
LB is correct on that one. The OBC (as it's now called) only covers 4-family and larger and commercial. No 1-2-3 family dwellings.
Thanks inspector for the moral backing .A couple of posters almost had me doubting my self;but I should have known better than to question someone who's never wrong.

/ Building permits required??? #48  
Someday bureaucrats will require you to get a permit, before you can get a permit. My philosophy: Better to ask forgiveness than beg for permission. Don't ask, don't tell. Isn't that what some folks are striving for in the military? Why should you be treated with any less respect? FREEDOM!

/ Building permits required??? #49  
my county,James City Co, Virginia has published online aerial photo maps of every structure in the county. Each structure is classified permitted or not permitted. You cannot hide from our county permit folks.

As an aside,agriculture use structures in our county zoned A-1 do not require a permit. No restriction on size. Electrical work to a non permitted structure do require a permit. Get the permit. Your property insurance will be impared if you proceed without a permit on electrical work.

/ Building permits required??? #50  
I am sure this is a function of your power company, but I am having a pole building put up and before the power company will hook up my power, it must pass the electrical inspection.

I am like the majority of you, I don't like government interference. There is another way to look at building inspections. When you have something built, the inspection provides some protection from unscrupulous builders for the people who occupy the building and know nothing about building standards.