bumper pull vs goose neck

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #31  
The new half ton wins in power but the 95 3/4 ton still has more suspension and probably brakes. I’ve never had a new half ton but my biggest problem with half tons is they won’t keep the trailer driving straight and I don’t suspect they’re much better in that aspect.
I would vehemently disagree.

I would rather panic stop my 2019 F150 with 14,000 lbs behind it any day compared to the same with my 99 F350 diesel.

Heck, I would rather pull that same weight up a mountain with the 3.5L eco than the 99 7.3 powerstroke.

Brakes are never going to be your limiting factor in a panic stop, the tires ability to apply brake force to the ground is your real limitation.

The real concern is frame rigidity and rear axle housing as well a ring/pinion/carrier bearings/shafts/cast center section rigidity (ring gear deflection) and DOM tube diameter.

Put an F350 frame and Dana 80 rear axle in an F150 and it would tow about anything out there. De-rate the 3.5L engine for commercial reliability as well... and your talking about one heck of a gas work truck.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #32  
I would vehemently disagree.

I would rather panic stop my 2019 F150 with 14,000 lbs behind it any day compared to the same with my 99 F350 diesel.

Heck, I would rather pull that same weight up a mountain with the 3.5L eco than the 99 7.3 powerstroke.

Brakes are never going to be your limiting factor in a panic stop, the tires ability to apply brake force to the ground is your real limitation.

The real concern is frame rigidity and rear axle housing as well a ring/pinion/carrier bearings/shafts/cast center section rigidity (ring gear deflection) and DOM tube diameter.

Put an F350 frame and Dana 80 rear axle in an F150 and it would tow about anything out there. De-rate the 3.5L engine for commercial reliability as well... and your talking about one heck of a gas work truck.

I agree somewhat. I agree that a modern F150 is more capable in terms of power and breaking than a mid 90's 3/4 ton truck. However, the limiting factor in the F150 is the soft suspension. It does not have the spring rating to make for a rigid platform while towing. Every fall I split a 20 foot trailer worth of firewood at my cabin. It's about a 6,000 pound load, then add in the weight of the trailer for a gross around 8500 pounds. I wanted to try my F150 ecoboost just to see how it did. Well, I did not wish for more power or breaking, except for the downhill sections where I wish I had more engine breaking. The problem was the soft suspension. The truck just felt like a bowl of jello towing that load. The back end was always in this slow roll it seemed.

My F350 has none of this suspension roll with a load hooked up. Because of this, it was a much safer platform for towing. The suspension rigidity is a huge factor in towing and a modern 1/2 ton just is not set up for that.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #33  
I agree somewhat. I agree that a modern F150 is more capable in terms of power and breaking than a mid 90's 3/4 ton truck. However, the limiting factor in the F150 is the soft suspension. It does not have the spring rating to make for a rigid platform while towing. Every fall I split a 20 foot trailer worth of firewood at my cabin. It's about a 6,000 pound load, then add in the weight of the trailer for a gross around 8500 pounds. I wanted to try my F150 ecoboost just to see how it did. Well, I did not wish for more power or breaking, except for the downhill sections where I wish I had more engine breaking. The problem was the soft suspension. The truck just felt like a bowl of jello towing that load. The back end was always in this slow roll it seemed.

My F350 has none of this suspension roll with a load hooked up. Because of this, it was a much safer platform for towing. The suspension rigidity is a huge factor in towing and a modern 1/2 ton just is not set up for that.

Were you running a weight distribution hitch? We recently grabbed a 9400 lb rental skid steer with the 3800 lb Iron Bull equipment trailer and using the WDH it was fantastic. I would agree, if towing wrong (the manual clearly states that a WDH is required at around 7500 lbs) the rear springs are to mushy, but once you dial it in... it is a thing of beauty. I use a WDH with my 2500HD as well if towing heavy bumper pull. It makes everything better.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #34  
Were you running a weight distribution hitch? We recently grabbed a 9400 lb rental skid steer with the 3800 lb Iron Bull equipment trailer and using the WDH it was fantastic. I would agree, if towing wrong (the manual clearly states that a WDH is required at around 7500 lbs) the rear springs are to mushy, but once you dial it in... it is a thing of beauty. I use a WDH with my 2500HD as well if towing heavy bumper pull. It makes everything better.

Yeah, I use a weight distribution hitch on all my bumper pull trailers. The pogo'n was still there.

F150's are designed today for more of a family city hauler than towing platform. That is why the spring rates are designed to be soft for a comfortable ride, but this suffers while towing.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #35  

That’s exactly my feelings. I hate that roll. I pulled a 16” covered trailer about 100 miles with a 2016 half ton and it just sucked. Even my 2500 suburban that’s really like a 5/8 ton is much better. Compared to a 90s ton there’s no comparison. IMG_9109.JPG

/ bumper pull vs goose neck
Thanks for all of the opinions so far on this, I agree a 1/2 ton with a goose neck is not a common sight but I'm trying to plan for future needs with this one. I will still have my 16' 7k trailer to use for light stuff.

I did stop and look at the gooseneck and right now am leaning that way. I want to give it another couple days to think more about it though. one thought I have is if I don't like the goose neck I think it would be easier to sell a 24' gooseneck vs. a 24' bumper pull. used trailers I have looked at are not very far off of new if they are not worn completely out.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #37  
I have both, a 20' bumper pull equipment trailer and a 30' gooseneck deckover the gooseneck wins hands down, there are occasions when it's to big for a really tight area and I use the bumper pull, but the whole time I am wishing it was a gooseneck. I also have a 16' gooseneck brand stock trailer and I can't even begin to guess how many thousands of miles I have pulled it loaded with 4 horses to go to round robin's or cow hunting with a 1992 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 , I couldn't afford another truck back then, but the 3/4 ton trucks of today are much better suited for heavy towing.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #38  
Thanks for all of the opinions so far on this, I agree a 1/2 ton with a goose neck is not a common sight but I'm trying to plan for future needs with this one. I will still have my 16' 7k trailer to use for light stuff.

I did stop and look at the gooseneck and right now am leaning that way. I want to give it another couple days to think more about it though. one thought I have is if I don't like the goose neck I think it would be easier to sell a 24' gooseneck vs. a 24' bumper pull. used trailers I have looked at are not very far off of new if they are not worn completely out.[/QUOTE
Look for two spring loaded jacks, three fold up mega spring loaded ramps, and brakes on axles. Three ramps allow for tricycle tractors or UTV/ATVs. The mega ramps fold up flat and make the dove tail part useable like to set a implement on it needed. Mega is what some folks call them IDK about where you are.

I have a fifth wheel hitch type in my truck bed. Not a hide a ball. The load is spread all the way across my bed evenly and four pins hold the plate with the ball welded to it (made by Curt). The only real draw back is I can remove the plate but the two rails are still there permanently, I cut my old rubber bed mat to fit the rails and with the mat makes it almost flush. There are pros and cons to both styles of GN hitches. So far the fifth wheel type has been good for me, I could even haul a fifth wheel camper or trailer if I had a actual fifth wheel hitch and not a GN ball. More for you to ponder on.

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #39  
---------

I did stop and look at the gooseneck and right now am leaning that way. I want to give it another couple days to think more about it though. one thought I have is if I don't like the goose neck I think it would be easier to sell a 24' gooseneck vs. a 24' bumper pull. used trailers I have looked at are not very far off of new if they are not worn completely out.
Since you are in Arkansas, check Delta: Equipment trailers from Delta — Single Wheel Flatbeds

Ordered mine in 2006 and drove to the factory to pick it up:

P9062368.JPG
P9062366.JPG

P9062364.JPG
P9062372.JPG

/ bumper pull vs goose neck #40  
This is the proverbial "cart ahead of the horse". :D

I don't remember ever seeing a 1/2T with GN ball.

GN all the way.

Several Ford, GM and Ram 1/2tons here with GN balls towing stock trailers, horse trailers and flat beds. The 10K+ tow rating 1/2 tons were a game changer.