Burn piles

/ Burn piles #81  
Going to light this next Saturday for our annual Winter Solstice party. It's a little late due to scheduling conflict. There are about 100 pallets, 1, 24" diameter x 40' tall cottonwood, and a couple 16" diameter trees in the pile.
Address for fire so I can come by or see it from Forbes State park…..

/ Burn piles #82  
today's burning started out with small stuff and progressed to larger. The (Poplar) wood in the last picture has diameters in the 3 to 5 foot range. Bald eagle nest in the first picture, upper left.

burn1.jpg

burn2.jpg

burn3.jpg

Last edited:
   / Burn piles #83  
I hung a cheap thermometer about 30ft from the fire. It wrapped around to about 140 degrees and melted 😂

Attachments

• 20230114_174332.jpg
    20230114_174332.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
   / Burn piles #84  
I have a limb pile, mostly apple tree including some stumps. In another area I have a tree pile. No burning, just let nature take care of them.

I burn garbage paper and cardboard and when I get too many cardborad boxes. I always use diesel fuel and handheld propane torch. I tell anyone who will listen to me, don't ever use gasoline.

Years ago when my nephew was about 14, he and his buddies were playing with gasoline, throwing on the ground and lighting it. Some got on his pants and he got burnt. When his parents came home he was sitting at the kitchen table with his leg up on the table and skin dripping off of his leg. He had to get skin grafts.

/ Burn piles #86  
@Xfaxman what is the memorial plaque in front of the dead tree? Just curious...

Fires at a distance is definitely why I don't burn around here.

All the best,

Peter

/ Burn piles #87  
@Xfaxman what is the memorial plaque in front of the dead tree? Just curious...
It is the information for the flood control dam that the state built.

/ Burn piles #89  
Going to light this next Saturday for our annual Winter Solstice party. It's a little late due to scheduling conflict. There are about 100 pallets, 1, 24" diameter x 40' tall cottonwood, and a couple 16" diameter trees in the pile.
Hold my beer while I light this up!😂☮️✌🏻

/ Burn piles #90  
I have one burn pile. Pine trees that have been taken down or have fallen. Either due to wind or pine bark beetle. I don't have brush that I remove. So.....by all you guys standards - my brush pile is pretty small. AND since it's become home to, at least, two flocks of quail - I don't burn either.

Not bad for 80 acres out here in the boondocks. Over any ten year period - I will loose three trees. Hardly worth the effort.

I keep up with any fallen trees - mainly because - a large downed pine can/will block the traveled way.