Bush Hog blades not swinging freely

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #11  
I'm just curious why you change blades so much on a bush hog? I suppose you sharpen them too?

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely
I'm just curious why you change blades so much on a bush hog? I suppose you sharpen them too?
Change every year in spring. Pull dull blades off, put the sharp blades on. Sharpen dull blades and replace again next season. Some of the area I bush hog is quite rocky and dings blades up considerably.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #13  
We don't have rocks so I can't speak to that but bush hog blades are not supoposed to be sharp. I bought my JD 609 in 2002 and I've neveer changed or sharpened the blades on it. But I don't cut grass with it either, so there's that.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #14  
Are they the correct blades and bolts.?

No worries sharpening blades if your just cutting pastures and grass/weeds. Only need to be concerned if you clearing tree saplings.

I always get a little grass and debris that may make the blades hard to move by hand.....but never an issue for the centrifugal force of the hog spinning at speed.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely
Are they the correct blades and bolts.?

No worries sharpening blades if your just cutting pastures and grass/weeds. Only need to be concerned if you clearing tree saplings.

I always get a little grass and debris that may make the blades hard to move by hand.....but never an issue for the centrifugal force of the hog spinning at speed.
correct blades and bolts. grass cutting mostly, occasional 1" sapling. part of the property is bordered by woods so some deadfall limbs maybe 2 inches. any bigger and I move limb before running over it. After sharpening I flatten cutting edge to a 1/16 or thicker. Same as I have done for years

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #16  
I have had this same issue over the yrs with 2 of my cutters, If i am in the field i will reach under and spray some lube up their wiggle the blade a bit and it will loosen up, Go back to work.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #17  
I have the same problem with a bushhog 3210. I even replaced the blades and bolts on one side and they too are hard to swing. My thoughts are my stump jumpers over the years have become pitted from rust. Like previous posts, I spray some pb blaster under there and it seems to help..

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #18  
When I replaced the blades on my Rino 72, one of the blades was binding. Seems like the area on the stump jumper under the blade was worn. It was like a slight depression, that when I tightened the blade bolt, it forced the blade against the holder. I fixed it by putting a spacer between the blade bolt shoulder and the stump jumper. The clearance was restored, and the blade was free swinging again.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #19  
I guess put me in the camp that doesn't sharpen my blades or spray anything on my bolts. 5 years, few hundred acres.

Most of the time when I hit something, the blades will swing back and forth normally. Every once in a while one will fold up hard enough that it won't swing free. Then I just shut everything off and manually go under and swing the blade back to it's proper position.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #20  
I guess put me in the camp that doesn't sharpen my blades or spray anything on my bolts. 5 years, few hundred acres.

Do your blades look anything like my old ones? They weren't cutting grass anymore, just ripping it. Quite a difference from the new blades!
P1010596ertbn.jpg