Bush Hog blades not swinging freely

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #22  
Do your blades look anything like my old ones? They weren't cutting grass anymore, just ripping it. Quite a difference from the new blades!
View attachment 759494
Heck they may not even look that good anymore.

I recall they were definitely showing some wear the last time I was under the cutter (digging out a piece of cable that I "found" in the grass). But I wasn't really focused on the blades at the time.

Actually I think they just have a bit of wear at the tips. This is a pic from the cable wrap incident. Not a great angle to see the blades with (sorry), but I don't have any other recent ones showing the underside.

20220724_080540.jpg

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #24  
correct blades and bolts. grass cutting mostly, occasional 1" sapling. part of the property is bordered by woods so some deadfall limbs maybe 2 inches. any bigger and I move limb before running over it. After sharpening I flatten cutting edge to a 1/16 or thicker. Same as I have done for years
Looks like we have a similar routine, swap out and sharpen as spares, lighter duty use, blunting the edge after "sharpening" (shaping out the nicks). I use Neverseize on the shoulders and threads of the bolts. Less likely to attract debris than grease but assures free movement. Also allows you to spin the nuts off by hand after breaking them loose.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #25  
You don't need a bush hog, you need a herd of goats.

My nearest neighbors have kept a herd of goats on their property for many years. Unfortunately, there's a lot of this desert vegetation that even goats refuse to eat so each year I mow about 8 acres of their property in addition to mine, just to mitigate the fire danger around their buildings. (Fire danger is the only reason I mow my place.)

Everything mowed to 3" or less, and a wide firebreak is how I try to keep my place safe.
Firebreak 2022.jpg

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely
When I replaced the blades on my Rino 72, one of the blades was binding. Seems like the area on the stump jumper under the blade was worn. It was like a slight depression, that when I tightened the blade bolt, it forced the blade against the holder. I fixed it by putting a spacer between the blade bolt shoulder and the stump jumper. The clearance was restored, and the blade was free swinging again.
Read you post with interest. Found some flat washer spacers at TSC that are 14 ga. 1 1/2 I.D. like the shoulder on the bush hog bolts to put between the blades and stump jumper. Hopefully the extra clearance take care of this issue.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #27  
Read you post with interest. Found some flat washer spacers at TSC that are 14 ga. 1 1/2 I.D. like the shoulder on the bush hog bolts to put between the blades and stump jumper. Hopefully the extra clearance take care of this issue.

The photo of used blades by DesertEagle71 show the origin of problem I had. The clean spot on the blade around the bolt means it was rubbing the blade holder.

I seem to remember TSC is where I got the spacer I used. Please post back if that fixes your problem. It'll pay it forward by helping someone in the future.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely
The photo of used blades by DesertEagle71 show the origin of problem I had. The clean spot on the blade around the bolt means it was rubbing the blade holder.

I seem to remember TSC is where I got the spacer I used. Please post back if that fixes your problem. It'll pay it forward by helping someone in the future.
Will post after I try with the spacers. One more mowing this year, probably late Sept. Will change out blades with some newly sharpened and add spacers. Will spend the winter in a barn shed and bring it out maybe late april. Will update after first use and see if I can still swing them freely by hand.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #29  
My nearest neighbors have kept a herd of goats on their property for many years. Unfortunately, there's a lot of this desert vegetation that even goats refuse to eat so each year I mow about 8 acres of their property in addition to mine, just to mitigate the fire danger around their buildings. (Fire danger is the only reason I mow my place.)

Everything mowed to 3" or less, and a wide firebreak is how I try to keep my place safe.
View attachment 759550
Very intriguing landscape. I think that's how Vegas looked at first.

/ Bush Hog blades not swinging freely #30  
The blade hole is 1 1/2"? If so, your washers will go over the 1 1/2" shoulder that the blade swing on and compress your blades even more. I think you need a spacer that is 1 1/2" OD and an ID to fit the shank of the bolt.