Bush hog blades worn on back side.

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I have a 3126 Bush Hog brand rotary mower. I inherited this mower with the farm.

I took a look at the blades today and believe they need to be replaced (thought that was likely before I looked).

Something I noticed that I don't understand: The back of the blades is worn down. What I mean by that is the opposite side from the cutting edge (as verified by rotation direction) is worn down.

Anyone have any idea what causes this? I don't find it in the owner's manual. My most probable explanation is operator error.

I found two blades I believe are new (well, old but never installed) and two that are obviously used...but not nearly as much as the ones on my cutter.

My cutter is a two-spindle, offset, semi-mount 10' version. I think I'll order 4 new blades but would like to know what caused this type of wear.

This forum has been great. Thanks.

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #2  
Are all the blades that way or just one set? Could be that the original owner put the blades on the wrong side, most dual spindle cutters have a left and a right set of blades.

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side.
Wow, that was fast. They are all that way. Both spindles rotate the same way on this cutter so all blades are the same.

Thanks!

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #4  
I did that once on my little42" Woods mower.Couldn't figure out why it wasn't cutting as well as it should but once i turned them the right direction they worked great. Stuff happens.

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #5  
Sand...
Not sure why, but have seen it before when a sandy lot is mowed.
David from jax

The blades appear to be put on facing in the correct direction.

I can clearly see the bevel of the blades facing counterclockwise - the way they rotate.

However, on the other side (opposite the cutting edge), the blades are worn down. Based on the two spares I have which I believe are new, the blade wear on the back side is significant.

Strange.

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #7  
The blades appear to be put on facing in the correct direction.

I can clearly see the bevel of the blades facing counterclockwise - the way they rotate.

However, on the other side (opposite the cutting edge), the blades are worn down. Based on the two spares I have which I believe are new, the blade wear on the back side is significant.

Strange.

If anything like large mower blades, the "non cutting," side has a twist up to create air movement. This slight bit of non horizontal blade surface is very susceptible to being sand or gravel blasted removing metal over time.

Dave M7040

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #8  
If anything like large mower blades, the "non cutting," side has a twist up to create air movement. This slight bit of non horizontal blade surface is very susceptible to being sand or gravel blasted removing metal over time.

Dave M7040

That makes two of us that agree...Sand!!!
David from jax

I would not have thought it would be sand as I don't have a lot of that here but the explanation certainly makes sense now.

I'll watch that with the new blades.

Thanks!

/ Bush hog blades worn on back side. #10  
Go to a welding supply place and ask to be shown the various type of blasting media they stock.

Sand, glass beads, walnut shells, steel foundry slag..... the list is endless.

If you don't have sand, then you have fine granular materials of some type almost everywhere. It the same way the Grand Canyon was formed by water passing over hard rock for millions of years, gritty particles passing over the twist up section of your blade gradually wear the metal away.

Dave M7040