Rotary Cutter Bush Hog cutter issue. Help!

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
So I have a lightly used 6’ BH 286 cutter. Never had issues with it but today tried to slide the quick coupler onto the pto shaft of the tractor. I can get it started to where the first de-tents are on the shaft but then it won’t go any further. The pto is well greased and I don’t see any damage on the male or female ends. Anyone know what could be causing this? Just had it hooked up two days ago with no issue so not sure what happened?

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #2  
I find sometimes rotating the pto shaft a bit can help ( by hand, with the pto shaft in neutral and the engine off). Lifting the brush hog so it’s level as pissible with the pto may help too; don’t have your feet under it though.

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help!
I did already try that but good idea. One thing I did find is that none of the 3 little bearings presses in. These are the ones located on the cutters quick coupled. Should any of them press in? It’s like I can’t get pass that point.

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #4  
I did already try that but good idea. One thing I did find is that none of the 3 little bearings presses in. These are the ones located on the cutters quick coupled. Should any of them press in? It’s like I can’t get pass that point.

Yes, spray PB blaster or whatever you have handy. As you push in the collar it should unload the ball bearings and drop into the detents. Spray in there also.
Oh, forgot, first make sure the PTO collar can fully slide back all the way. So a good soaking may be in order.
Hope that helps a bit....

Best regards...

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #5  
Yes, spray PB blaster or whatever you have handy. As you push in the collar it should unload the ball bearings and drop into the detents. Spray in there also.
Oh, forgot, first make sure the PTO collar can fully slide back all the way. So a good soaking may be in order.

Best regards...

+1. I have a Rhino RC that got stubborn and little PB Blaster solved the issue. Years of grime and grit can get packed around those bearings.

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #6  

Best regards...
AND, quit greasing it!!

Wipe that sticky crap off everything, and then spray "everything" with WD-40 (or similar) EVERY TIME you put anything on that pto! (pto/coupler/shaft where it slides ect.)

I've been doing that longer than most here are alive, never used dirt grabbing grease and have NEVER had a pto problem.

SR

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #7  
AND, quit greasing it!!

Wipe that sticky crap off everything, and then spray "everything" with WD-40 (or similar) EVERY TIME you put anything on that pto! (pto/coupler/shaft where it slides ect.)

I've been doing that longer than most here are alive, never used dirt grabbing grease and have NEVER had a pto problem.

SR

Yessir...good ol hard dry grease, lots of threads here now on how to take them apart...lol....

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #8  
I pull the collar back all the way, and use a screwdriver to push the stuck ball bearings into the detents, then slowly slide the piece onto the pto shaft keeping the collar pulled back. It works for me.

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #9  
I use a wax based motorcycle chain lube where I need a lube that will not attract dirt and dust.
You may have to use carb cleaner if its got grease and dirt packed in the joint.

/ Bush Hog cutter issue. Help! #10  
AND, quit greasing it!!

SR

^^^^^What he said, the grease is the problem^^^^^