Mowing Bush Hog for Dummies

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #1  

Rutman

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar sa424
I own a yanmar sa424. Guy has a 4 ft bush hog razor back for sale.
Looks almost new in pics.
This will be my first pto implement.
School me on a couple questions.
1. What’s the difference between shear pin and slip clutch and is one better than the other and why.

2. If it’s a slip clutch is that a deal breaker.

3. Ifs it a shear pin is that a deal breaker.

4. How can you tell by looking which it is. I don’t think he knows.

5. Is 550 dollars a good price.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #2  
first thing i'd do is look for leaks & abuse. look closely under the hog, condition of stump jumper (disc above the blades) look at cond of blades. get him to engage the pto at both idle & higher rpm looking how smooth it turns w/o vibration
look at overall cond of the deck.

both sheer pins & clutch are adequate methods. the grade bolt for the pin is important (not sure grade on that model). clutch is more forgiving but has to be checked out for proper operation. if either of those appear to be fine, neither should be a deal breaker. as far as the clutch maintence, suggest posting a separate thread on this forum (owning & operating) for that procedure. let us know how it goes, a few pics would be helpful

also pull the fill plug on the gearbox & check level & cond of gear oil. be sure to use a hypoid GL5 for the lubricant. go online & check recommended grade for that model, either 80/90, or 85/140

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #3  
If you hit something that breaks a shear pin (which is really just a bolt and nut), you're done mowing until you replace it. Most people keep a supply of spares on the tractor somewhere to replace in the field.

If you hit something with a slip clutch, it just slows or stalls the blades as the clutch slips, then comes back up to speed as the clutch catches and reengages. You may or may not have to stop and restart.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #4  
I don't know much about these slip clutch but in my opinion you can't go wrong with a shear pin if it breaks you simply change it its supper easy to change ... with a slip clutch there is adjustment required at some point and If the the clutch gets worn out you have to find parts order it and change it .... but nether should be a deal breaker ... the price sound fair

Slip Clutch

1658860065388.png

Shear pin ... The shear pin is inside these rubber cone which it simply a bolt.

1658860127218.png

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #5  
I also like to point out I have brush hog with a undersize brush hog for the tractor hp and I have hit multiple things like ants nest, stumps, a roll of barb wire and the only time I snap a shear pin was because one of the three point arm pin let go and the brush hog hit the ground and I didn't had time to disengage the PTO... all the other time when it hit something or started bouncing or I simply lift the brush hog and stop going forward even almost stalled the engine a few time so snapping shear pin is a pretty rare occurrence if you are careful.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #6  
I haven't shopped for a mower, but if it's in good shape that seems like a good price. When shopping used, I wouldn't be fussy about which it has. If it's a shear pin, check to make sure that it hasn't been replaced with a grade 5 bolt.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #7  
1. What’s the difference between shear pin and slip clutch and is one better than the other and why.

What is the terrain like and what will you be cutting.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #8  

1.-3. Both slip clutches and shear pins protect the driveline of the mower. Both will do the job. Which one you choose is a personal preference, neither is a deal breaker. Slip clutches have the advantage of being resettable after they slip by simply lifting the mower off of the obstruction, whereas you will have to remove and replace the shear bolt if it shears. A slip clutch that slips heats up and thus won't hold as well compared to before it slipped until it cools down, while a new shear bolt works perfectly. A shear bolt also requires no maintenance, a slip clutch must be kept within adjustment and also slipped every so often to keep it from seizing.

4. A slip clutch will look like the top picture in Rockbadchild's post, although if it is a Walterscheid type it will just have the two discs and no external bolts and springs. A shear bolt will simply be a bolt that goes through the implement side of the PTO shaft and the gearbox input shaft- the telltale sign for a shear bolt is there will be no fat slip clutch anywhere in the driveline.

5. If it is in good condition $550 is a good price.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #10  
That's a good price on the bush hog if it is in decent shape. As was mentioned check it over, don't expect it to look new for that price. You cannot buy much here for that money, certainly not a bush hog brand cutter.

It is a light duty cutter, 1" or less brush, don't get too ambitious with it or it will break.