Mowing Bush Hog for Dummies

/ Bush Hog for Dummies
Well.
Guy sold it before I could look at it this evening.
Thanks for all the info.
It’ll help as I keep searching.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #12  
What’s the difference between shear pin and slip clutch and is one better than the other and why.

2. If it’s a slip clutch is that a deal breaker.

3. Ifs it a shear pin is that a deal breaker.

4. How can you tell by looking which it is. I don’t think he knows.

5. Is 550 dollars a good price.
Shear pins break and you replace them. Slip clutches are exactly what they sound like no replacement until it wears out and then it's a lot more money than shear pins.

Clutches take up a fairr bit of diametrical space

$550? That all depends https://www.equipmenttrader.com/Bus...=BUSH HOG|958217&model=5 Ft.|0&modelkeyword=1

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #14  
I have thrown rocks a fair distance with a small onie on a small JD 855.

Do not let anyone else near it when operating. Do not operate it within 25 yards of your vehicle or house.

Engage it at low speed and throttle up to PTO speed

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #15  
Since you mentioned that this is your first PTO implement, I have to raise the issue of PTO drive shaft length. Don't assume the shaft the comes with the bush hog is the right length for your tractor. Too short and it could come apart, too long and you could cause major damage to your tractor.

Plenty of advice out there for determining the proper length and how to cut one down.

Doug in SW IA

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #16  
Good condition cutters sell fast so move on them right away
Agree 100%. If you take the time to post it on here and wait for recommendations before you pull the trigger you will miss out probably 100% of the time. If it's in good shape, you like it, it does what you want it to do and the price is good for you then buy it. Plain and simple.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies
Since you mentioned that this is your first PTO implement, I have to raise the issue of PTO drive shaft length. Don't assume the shaft the comes with the bush hog is the right length for your tractor. Too short and it could come apart, too long and you could cause major damage to your tractor.

Plenty of advice out there for determining the proper length and how to cut one down.

Doug in SW IA

If shaft is to short then what.
Buy a longer one I assume.
Where to purchase one and
are they pricey.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #18  
^^ Most any farm supply or Ag/Tractor parts store, tractor dealers, Tractor Supply, Rural King, Southern States, etc.

A couple of hundred dollars in some cases, maybe less.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies
^^ Most any farm supply or Ag/Tractor parts store, tractor dealers, Tractor Supply, Rural King, Southern States, etc.

A couple of hundred dollars in some cases, maybe less.

Thanks.
I know these sound like dumb questions but if you don’t know then you gotta ask.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #20  
If shaft is to short then what.
Buy a longer one I assume.
Where to purchase one and
are they pricey.
Too short and you use it you can have one end of the shaft flopping around on your pto damaging all manner of things including the tractor

Where to purchase - any ag supply BUT ya gotta know what size the Spline on your pto is. Yup there are different sizes, check the manual.

Pricey? It doesn't matter. Ya gotta have the right size. It's not an option. Around $200 most likely

How to tell if ya do already? Mount the hog, raise it to max height and see if it falls apart, Mark (or measure) it and remove it and see how many inches of engagement you have left, You need about 6" or more. More is better. Then with the tractor and hog on level ground and see if the shaft has some more compression left. It should have a couple inches.

Don't forget to grease the Universal joints AND DON'T OVER DO or you will blow out the Seals.