Mowing Bush Hog for Dummies

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #31  
I've got both shear pin and slipclutch drive shafts for different implements.

Slip cluth needs to be adjusted usually every time I hook up whatever implement I'm using I adjust the bolts on the clutch only takes a few minutes and also grease the u-joints its just regular maintenance.

Shear pin I have on my rotary mower and yes they break and its a good thing. Can save your tractor PTO so I would just order a bag of the proper size - measure the current one. You'll figure out how to remove and replace that way. The issue with shear pins when they break in the field its a no go after so you either carry bolts and wrenches in the tractor and fix in the field or drive back to the garage and do repair. Slip clutch has the advantage there.

Both work well. If you wear out the slip clutch its a somewhat pricey swap out with a bunch of work.

Pros and cons are:

Pin breaks its a stop the work and fix

Slip clutch = some minor maintenance before working.

I dont really have a preference.

5 hundy for a rotary mower that looks new is a good deal.

As mentioned check the under side and the gear oil and have the owner give it a test spin (stand WAY back).

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #32  
I haven't shopped for a mower, but if it's in good shape that seems like a good price. When shopping used, I wouldn't be fussy about which it has. If it's a shear pin, check to make sure that it hasn't been replaced with a grade 5 bolt.
I have bushhog and have used both shear bolts and slip clutch, I use #8 shear bolts on all my pto equipment. I bought a rototiller from north tool several years ago, input to tractor is 6 spline 1-3/8 to tiller 8 spline with slip clutch, I hit a rock broke the pto shaft inside tractor, it al also broke pto drive to tiller, trying buying 8 spline, I took gear box apart on tiller took it to machine shop had it rounded and hole put in to fit #8 shear bolt, bought pto drive round to tiller and 6 spline to tractor, no problems since.

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #35  
I hit a rock broke the pto shaft inside tractor, it al also broke pto drive to tiller, trying buying 8 spline, I took gear box apart on tiller took it to machine shop had it rounded and hole put in to fit #8 shear bolt, bought pto drive round to tiller and 6 spline to tractor, no problems since.
Based on this, WHY would you switch from a shear pin to something which will be even harder to break?

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #36  
Based on this, WHY would you switch from a shear pin to something which will be even harder to break?
I had pto to tiller modified from 8 spline pto shaft to a rounded shaft on tiller with hole drilled in tiller shaft to use #8 shear bolt, now the pto shaft to tiller is round and accepts 8 shear bolt

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #37  
Deleted

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #38  
I had pto to tiller modified from 8 spline pto shaft to a rounded shaft on tiller with hole drilled in tiller shaft to use #8 shear bolt, now the pto shaft to tiller is round and accepts 8 shear bolt
I actually went to Tractor Supply and bought bolts labeled shear bolts, goes to show you I don’t know my bolts. Lol

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #39  
A numer 8 bolt I would not use as
a shear pin very hard use #2 it will
shear and save your equipment

willy

/ Bush Hog for Dummies #40  
Grade 5 will do in a pinch but if you hit something it will most likely just bend and be very difficult to get out.

I know from experience.

Last edited: