Buying Advice Buying a backhoe ?

/ Buying a backhoe ? #1  

mediplt

Tractor
Kubota M7060
I have owned 1 tractor in my life, but operated equipment during my National Guard career and as I have needed to rent. I am now to the point of considering rental vs. ownership of a backhoe. I have approx 100 acres that are always in need of something, so instead of calling the rental office, I think ownership would be cheaper in the long run. The question is " How do I buy a backhoe?" Where do I go? What should I be looking for and when do I turn and run away? A 4n1 bucket and extended reach with a thumb would be the preferred tractor.

Thanks for the advice

/ Buying a backhoe ? #2  
I have owned 1 tractor in my life, but operated equipment during my National Guard career and as I have needed to rent. I am now to the point of considering rental vs. ownership of a backhoe. I have approx 100 acres that are always in need of something, so instead of calling the rental office, I think ownership would be cheaper in the long run. The question is " How do I buy a backhoe?" Where do I go? What should I be looking for and when do I turn and run away? A 4n1 bucket and extended reach with a thumb would be the preferred tractor.

Thanks for the advice
How much are you willing to spend?
Your profile does not show your location....It should.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #3  
Might be the best for your request to look at rental unless you are looking at used for the value.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #4  
Your M7060 is a reasonable platform for a factory tractor backhoe addition.
I speculate a Kubota backhoe for your M7060 would cost $7,000 to $8,000.

Kubota has heavier, more specialized backhoe machines in the L47 ($55,000-$65,000) and M62.

Consider a Kubota tracked excavator paired with your M7060.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #5  
purplewave.com
machinerytrader.com
equipementtrader.com

Several worthwhile threads on here about purchasing/owning backhoe's. To my knowledge extendahoe's and thumbs do not mix.

$30k should get you a reasonably workable backhoe.

I am not calling you out. If you have ran one much at all you know what to look for. Others along with myself on here will happy to list a bunch of points to look for.

I'll start with an easy one to miss. A "low hour machine" that doesn't look low hour. At a local auction house I regularly see beat up "low hour machines". Someone just puts in a new hour meter to hide how many hours the machine really has.

FWIW I own and make a living with a Cat 420D, 4x4, cab, heat, air, 4in1, extendahoe.

Last edited:
   / Buying a backhoe ? #6  

Thanks for the advice
Please clarify your request.

Do you mean backhoe as in one you attach to your M7060, or do you mean a separate JD 310 type full size loader/backhoe, or do you mean an excavator?

If you mean M7060 forget it....they are so high off the ground a 9 ft backhoe is about as good as a 6 ft one...pretty worthless for the $$ you would pay for it. I do believe there is a subframe for it but it is a bad idea in my opinion.

You could look at a Kubota M62 as Jeff suggested and you would get 3PT, very capable BH, but you cannot get a factory Cab (there are aftermarket options).

If you mean a JD310...well I would consider that a total waste unless you are selling the M7060...but you would loose 3PT capabilities.

To me the best option is a mini-excavator or rent if you plan on keeping the M7060. You already have great FEL capacity.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #7  
We need more information on the budget and planned use to make solid advice.

/ Buying a backhoe ? #8  
Why would 100 acres have anything to do with needing a backhoe?

Bush hogging, yes, but a back hoe is a really specific piece of equipment.

A loader? Most definitely. What will you need to be doing on a routine basis that you'd need a backhoe?

Last edited:
   / Buying a backhoe ? #9  
I have less than 100 acres I got the backhoe for my LS from LS and It saved me a ton of cash over renting one in just the last 2.5 months I had to use it.

Dig out a by pass canal for my lake, a bunch of pits and so much more.
I found it just as valuable as my grapple or bucket.
Good luck!