Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules?

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #42  
Same here. I've picked up the occasional trailer load of topsoil/mulch/manure, but that's it. I doubt many who aren't DOT carriers have equipment capable of safely hauling stone or gravel.

Do you mean even renting a mini-excavator to do yard work? Hope it never gets that bad here.
What exactly is "safely hauling stone or gravel?" I think that is BS.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #43  
Ah, the days when there were gravel pits with gravel in them! Hereabouts, all we have now is crushed rock.
We have a fairly large shale slide area on our property. If we need a load, I just go over and get a load. If we need a lot, we have a friend with backhoe and dump truck. There is a deal with him that we get the driveway done every couple of years, and he has access to it anytime he wants it

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #44  
I dont know about a new rule, but around here most quarries have a 10 ton minimum per load, so they wont load a 3 ton trailer anyway. Not worth the trouble to move an operator and equipment for a small load. Missouri.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #45  
Hooked up the Big Tex dump trailer to get a load of 5/8 yesterday. When i got to the pit where i have bought for 30 years i was told by dispatch that MSHA prohibits anyone without a contractors license from being in the pit or buyIng rock. I maintain 1/4 mile gravel road. Anyone else heard about such nonsense?
That's the way it is here in Canada I believe. But I believe that most pits, if you develop a good relationship with them, would sell you some aggregate in small quantities for coffee or beer money. Aggregate is tracked, but not that accurately.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #46  
I dont know about a new rule, but around here most quarries have a 10 ton minimum per load, so they wont load a 3 ton trailer anyway. Not worth the trouble to move an operator and equipment for a small load. Missouri.
They will load 3 ton, they'll just charge you for 10.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #47  
Most recent was a Bandit 65 Chipper

It was in the rental fleet and for sale.

I was thinking of buying and the deal was rent it and if I decided to buy the rental cost applied to purchase.

The chipper was hitched to my truck and my credit card charged including damage waiver and a copy of my Driver License.

I was leaving the yard and flagged down to return to office.

The counter guy said I forgot to make a copy of my contractor license.

When I said I don’t contract he said I could not rent but no problem selling!

Spent the next half hour unhooking and cancelling the transaction… mind you I had called in advance to reserve the chipper with my credit card.

This was with the local Bandit Franchise…
I probably would have just driven away. How are you going to get charged? You paid what they asked for. The world is getting too complicated.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #48  
I just work my driveway with my box blade to keep from having to buy gravel.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #49  
In Texas a commercial contractors license doesn’t really exist.
Texans wouldn't stand for that. They'd turn the certificate into a target on a post.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #50  
Never heard of it in NY. My guess is the new rules is just another way of taxing. Now you gotta pay 'the man' to get a license. Or pay $100 plus delivery. Tax, fees, permits, license, keep yelling yourself that we are a free country.