BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out)

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #1  

mswlogo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 DT (Gear)
The BX-24 appears to be strong enough, but the tires are just too small to grip the sand with this load. You can see in first photo the ratio of the tractor to boat and the pitch. In second photo you can see the bucket bending from the togue weight. I was really hoping I could downsize my Jeep.

2579506114_d45a5d7a8b_b.jpg

2578663177_5d8a64875c_b.jpg

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #2  
I think if you had R4 tires, you wouldn't have any problem. I wasn't aware that turf tires were available on the BX-24. BTW, nice boat you have there.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #3  
Lay a piece of 2" angle iron across the inside of the bucket and clamp to that. It will stop the bending problem. Get a helper to run the boat engine and use the boat to get the rig moving. Shut the boat engine off just as the prop breaks the serface of the water. That's the way I pull my boat out on a sandy beach. Has worked every time for me, may work for you.

ron

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #5  
An interesting challenge for your BX. One the designers probably didn't consider. I expect that your Jeep has more than 23 HP. Have you tried pulling with backhoe until you are on more solid and level ground? If the challenge is to get the boat out of the water, wouldn't a winch get you over the hump and then carry on with the BX? Just thoughts that help I hope :)

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #6  
It looks like you have quite a weight on the bucket. It is probably removing weight from the rear wheels where you need it.

Suggestion:

Float the boat.
Remove the backhoe.
Mount the ball on the back of the tractor.
Back up the tractor so the rear wheels are just touching the water.
Hook up the trailer.
Winch the boat up on the trailer.

I believe that with the weight on the rear wheels, you should not have any problem pulling the boat and trailer out.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #7  
Turfs suck.

Nice boat!

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #8  
All that weight and leverage is robbing your rear end traction. The rear end of the tractor almost looks like its ready to lift off the ground. Can you put the hitch at the other end so the weight is on the big tyres. Or can you screw that hitch to the radiator grille guard.

Or stretch your backhoe right out to regain some traction.

Go forward into the water first to break the boat tyres out of their hole.

Use high range if possible. You got plenty of power but you havent got the wheel speed of a jeep. I use a little Suzuki Sierra to beach launch my boat. To get it out you have to rev it and let the clutch out fast so the boat gets yanked out before the wheels start spinning too much and dig themselves into a hole.

I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. Beautiful location too!

Don't blame the tyres. Ags might not make any difference in a situation like this.

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #9  
I think that success lies with attaching the boat trailer to the backhoe and driving the tractor forward. You'll easily land your boat/trailer tandem on shore. You might be able to use a cable and just suspend the trailer coupler below the teeth of the backhoe bucket. Or, there might be an attachment for this purpose where you would remove the backhoe bucket and use an attachment in its place.

I tried to recall that NH location. I have fished many of the NH lakes for many years, and this setting looks all too familiar.

:The Gardener

/ BX-24 too small for pulling boat (went in but wouldn't come out) #10  
Is this the same boat house you keep the bx24 in?
Did you ever get the bird issue with it resolved?
mswlogo said:
The BX-24 appears to be strong enough, but the tires are just too small to grip the sand with this load. You can see in first photo the ratio of the tractor to boat and the pitch. In second photo you can see the bucket bending from the togue weight. I was really hoping I could downsize my Jeep.

2579506114_d45a5d7a8b_b.jpg

2578663177_5d8a64875c_b.jpg