BX front wheel interchangibility

/ BX front wheel interchangibility
Just to let you naysayers know, I now have "big fat" high profile tires all the way around. Everything works just fine, the ride is GREATLY improved. I've done this on tractors before, it worked then, it worked now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #12  
Did you change the rear tires too?
Your 1st post said you wanted to change out the front tires but now you say "high profile tires all the way around" which makes it sound like you changed the rear too.

I assume you kept the factory size tires that came on the BX1870?

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #13  
Wow! It's so seldom that you run across a smart#$$ that just knows everything about everything. I'm sure the other guys appreciate roc just about as much as I do.

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #14  
Don't think anyone was being naysayers or hostel to you in the least. Guys on here often try to point out potential problems so you don't tear anything up and are trying to be helpful, give them a chance! Also just because something works now does not mean it is the best long term idea.
I could somehow cobble my mx5100's tires on my BX if I tried hard enough but it may not last real long......

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #16  
Now that I checked, how did you find an 8" rim with an 18" tire from a BX1870?

According to Kubota specs, the BX1870 only came with a 16" front tire while the BX23 and up came with 18" tires.

:confused:

Attachments

• Tires.JPG
    Tires.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 114
   / BX front wheel interchangibility #17  
OP evidently sought a softer ride, which raised two thoughts for me. 1. Why not just let a little air out of the tires instead of completely changing the rims and tires? 2. Changing just the fronts wouldn't affect the ride very much since the operator is sitting directly over the rear tires. But, I guess this was a discussion that wasn't meant to go very far.

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #18  
OP evidently sought a softer ride, which raised two thoughts for me. 1. Why not just let a little air out of the tires instead of completely changing the rims and tires? 2. Changing just the fronts wouldn't affect the ride very much since the operator is sitting directly over the rear tires. But, I guess this was a discussion that wasn't meant to go very far.
Yeah, well I put BX1800 wheels on my BX1500. [I had to add spacers to the fronts for clearance.] The larger tires increased the front lead but caused no problems. They ride better, and increased lead improves steering noticeably in 4wd. More lead would be even better. The tractor presently has over 2000hrs.
larry

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #19  
Bigger tires should improve the ride, no doubt. I just figured most "seat of the pants" ride quality would be related to the rear tires, because that's where the "seat of the pants" is planted on a BX and most other tractors.

Back in the 2001-2003 era, I think, there were some thoughtful threads here about tire sizes, gearing and lead/lag performance. I seem to recall they concluded Kubota tended to specify standard front/rear tire sizes that lag, so upsizing the fronts should have improved performance and reduced wear on the drivetrain. Don't know if that's still the case with the newer models and also don't know if anyone has looked into the characteristics of other makes that have come on the scene.

/ BX front wheel interchangibility #20  
Agree on rear tire influence on ride quality.

I can see no reason for lag in 4wd. The fronts go as far as the rears when going straight, and increasingly further as you steer. Lag is bad for directional control. Our L3450, stock tires, has a lot of lead. You have to be turning pretty hard before they start to be pushed. Steers great. The fronts wore bald in 2000 hrs and had to be replaced.