BX23 brakes

/ BX23 brakes #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
I'm not sure how to ask, but....
Is the hydraulic braking an inherent function of the mechanical design, or a function of applying and releasing the same brakes I apply with my foot?
If I wear the foot brakes out completely, will the hydraulic brakes be gone?
By hydraulic brakes I mean the no motion/no roll function in rabbit/turtle with no go pedal applied.
TIA!

/ BX23 brakes #2  
I rarely if ever use the foot brake on my BX23, not that its much good anyway. The btaking you are referring to is HST related not foot brake related. So if you burn up the brake pads you'll still have the HST. If I'm following correctly.

/ BX23 brakes #3  
I assuming you have a HST transmission and the hydraulic brake you are talking about is just the normal action of the HST as you slow it down using the foot pedal until you in effect get to neutral and then, if your keep pushing the pedal in the reverse direction, off you go backwards. The HST is not brakes but rather just the manner of the transmission design and is completely independent of the manual foot brakes and parking brakes.

The only way you are going to wear the mechanical brakes out is by leaving the parking brake engaged while driving around which just holds the mechanical brakes on.

Dave M7040

/ BX23 brakes #4  
On my big Zero-turn mower there is no brake pedal as the hydraulics are the brakes. The HST system works the same but is not spit with a left and right side like a zero-turn.(for steering) It does seem like the just off center (neutral) is a lot more touchy on the tractor going from forward to reverse or stop.

/ BX23 brakes
OK - the foot brake system is completely separate from the hydraulic in-gear stop system.
So how does that work?
If you do know, 'spoon feed' me so I can read it as I look through the parts or service book.
Again THX

/ BX23 brakes #6  
Go to Messicks.com
you may need to sign is using your email address to see the illustrations
Kubota BX23D Parts Diagrams

Tractor brakes are more like a motorcycle clutch with two different types of plates stacked together. One set of plates with a friction material surface is fixed to the frame of the tractor and the other set of plates with a smooth surface is fixed to the rotating wheel axle.
ET2DzXK.jpg

When you apply the brake pedal, a ball and ramp setup compresses the two different types of plates together and stops the tractor.

The reason for the stacking of plates is that this creates a much larger surface area for the brake assembly and makes it easier to incorporate into the tractor design.

Dave M7040

/ BX23 brakes
Dave, thanks but I wasn't clear with my "that".
I interested in how the hydraulic side stop function works.
(The friction side, as in the pic, makes pretty good sense on view.)

/ BX23 brakes #8  
Dave, thanks but I wasn't clear with my "that".
I interested in how the hydraulic side stop function works.
(The friction side, as in the pic, makes pretty good sense on view.)

In the HST drive area what is happen is not braking per se but rather a reduction is driving force first forward and then to no force when the tractor stops moving.
My experience is not extensive with HST tractors so the next comments may be challenged by those more knowledgeable.

Imagine towing a heavy trailer behind your tractor and going down a steep hill. Likely the HST system could not control the speed of descent hence the need for brakes.

Also, if the tractor is on a steep slope and you turn off the engine, the tractor may start to move down the slope.

Like any piece of machinery, you need to be testing its limits in safe situations so you can make decisions in a hurry if you need to.

If you can select 4WD or 2WD you need to be aware of and making decisions about going down hill say with a bucket load of something heavy.

The bucket load of material will be trying to lift the rear end of the tractor. In 2WD your rear wheels are the only ones with brakes. Locking up of the rear tires will follow and possibly loss of control.

If you are in 4 WD, the drive line will take braking force from the rear brakes and also slow the front tires down.

Your multi disc brakes are on the rear wheels only.

Hope this helps

Dave M7040

/ BX23 brakes #9  
A few comments: 1) Dave M7040 -- surely that diagram is not from a BX is it ? I hope they did not expend that much complexity and expense on something that is simply useless and barely works at all. I have one BX of my own and have obtained 3 others for other people. The brakes on ALL 4 of them are a bad joke and will at most slow down the machine, not hold it or really stop it under any stress. 2) Quick clarification for tshep -- "hydraulic braking" and HST, etc. mentioned above is not brakes at all. It is simply the ability to put the thing in reverse when going forward and vice versa. It is what actually works to stop these machines since the brakes are worthless, so maybe it is fair to refer to it as "brakes."

/ BX23 brakes #10  
A few comments: 1) Dave M7040 -- surely that diagram is not from a BX is it ? I hope they did not expend that much complexity and expense on something that is simply useless and barely works at all. I have one BX of my own and have obtained 3 others for other people. The brakes on ALL 4 of them are a bad joke and will at most slow down the machine, not hold it or really stop it under any stress. 2) Quick clarification for tshep -- "hydraulic braking" and HST, etc. mentioned above is not brakes at all. It is simply the ability to put the thing in reverse when going forward and vice versa. It is what actually works to stop these machines since the brakes are worthless, so maybe it is fair to refer to it as "brakes."

Wow! Maybe the BX tractors have gone downhill. The brakes on my 2009 BX25 work great.