Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy #1  

Hotwheels

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, RTV900-Worksite
I have about 7 acres that is on a slope. Maybe 5 acres is workable. I have decided I need a tractor and my wife wants a backhoe attachment to dig out bowling ball and basketball plus size rocks to relocate for landscaping. A lot of the area needs some leveling or filling before I can do more than field mowing. A TLB like th Kubota BX24 the MF GC2310 or equivalent seems like enough tractor. I did find a lightly used Mahindra 2615 for sale near me with the FEL, Box scrapper, and roughcut mower that is attractively priced. I am tempted to buy it and add a woods or similar BH when the need arises. In the mean time the FEL, mower, and roughcut would keep me busy.

However, my wife really likes the Kubota BX24 and she favors buying it. Her thoughts are that we can use it to do the landscaping work over the next 2-3 years and then sell it and buy something to do the finish mowing and other tasks we no longer wish to do by hand. Given the apparent resale value of the Kubotas, it seems like good thinking.

If we bought the used Mahindra or anything else used, it is not likely to have the same resale value, but it seems to be more tractor to start with and maybe in the long run, less costly, even if we did add a backhoe.

In rough numners, the BX24 is about 2k more than the used Mahindra with the attachments. Shoud I even be thinking about the BX24 as a comparison to the Mahindra?

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy #2  
Is the Kubota only 2k more with the backhoe and FEL??? If so, that is the better buy. A 4 or 5 foot rotary cutter can be bought for under $600 and the box blade would be about $350. I'm thinking you mean the Kubota is 2k more without the TLB package.

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy #4  
Hotwheels: Let me get this straight. Your wife has endorsed the purchase of a backhoe and you are hesitating?? A hoe is a big bucks purchase. Get it now while you can. All the other implements are relatively cheap. Blades, rakes, boxscrapes, log splitters, pallet forks, etc are all under $700 each.

I just ordered a backhoe. My only regret is not ordering the backhoe 5 months ago when I bought the tractor. Now I will have to haul the tractor 20 miles to the dealer and wait a week until I can go pick it back up.

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy #5  
Sounds like the BX 24 or Massey 2310 will do everything you need it to, plus they already have the backhoe. Once you get one of these and start finish mowing with it as well, you'll never sell it.

In 2-3 years it will be like an old pal that can help you dig or spread mulch etc. and still cut the lawn.

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy
In round numbers the BX24 is about 16k and the Mahindra about 14k with the implements. The BX24 is the package including the FEL and the backhoe. My wife likes the idea of the backhoe and her only hesitation is if the tractor has enough power overall --- I think it does.

My guess is also that after a couple years the tractor would have a name, maybe its own bedroom, and probably never leave. But, if we should decide that we WANT to sell it, then I assume the resale value on a Kubota TLB would be strong. If we deceide to keep it, then we paid the Kubota brand premium and live with that.

I looked at the Massey Ferguson GC2310 also and it seems to have a SLIGHT edge in specifications -- wider, a little more PTO, etc... but, on specifications it would not tip me one way or the other. Have to take the spouse by to operate the backhoe on that one to see how she likes it.

The used Mahindra seems pretty nice and it has nice specifications -- it is a heavy tractor and seems to have about the same turning radius, which is important for me: Kubota BX24 is 7.5, and Mahindra 2615 7.9 GC2310 ?

I think the issue is if the BX24 has enough power -- seems like it, but our neighbors have larger tractors.

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy #7  
MessickFarmEqu said:
You'll also send a good $6000+ adding a backhoe to the Mahindra.

Yes Neil, they are around that number with a bucket, subframe, mounts, hydraulics and labor to install, but remember that they are not a light duty 3-point mount. They dig 7'10" and have a reach of over 10 feet. They weigh about 1200 lbs. You are very up on the kubota line, what size BX or B gives similar features and reach? That would be helpful info.

For the thread at hand, I think the BX would do fine, but just remember that it is a subcut, not a CUT. The difference is much more than 2 HP. The Mahindra with a backhoe and loader will weigh about 4200 lbs, maybe a little more. I would think the BX would be 1500 lbs lighter? Neither good nor bad, depending on the application, but not similar.

As for resale, Mahindras resale great in northern California. I can't speak for all areas, but a used 2615 won't last a week on out lot. If you buy a used one, you have already saved some money and the odds are that it will be worth 90% of what you paid for it (used) if you sell it in a couple of years in good condition.

If the wife says get the little Kubota and it will do the job, that advice should certaintly not be ingored, but you might try both out first to make sure you are purchasing a tractor of the correct size for the job at hand.

The Kubota backhoe does not have the capacity of the Mahindra and it is lighter. Kubota lists the tractor weight as 1542 the Bx24 package as 2245. The Mahindra weighs 2458, so there is almost 1000 pounds difference in the tractors. Although the BX24 would prooably do it, the extra capacity of the Mahindra is attractive. The spouse just needs to get on a Mahindra of this size and see if it feels as comfortable as tghe BX24.

/ Bx24 or Equivalent: Strategy #9  
It strikes me that the BX24 is too small for that size property. You'll be forever mowing. Its light weight severely limits what you can do with a backhoe too. I bought smaller at first. Love the machine, but regretted not buying bigger. I eventually did buy bigger. In the end, it cost me way more $$$, and now I have two tractors to store and maintain.

If your wife likes the small size and manueverability of the BX24, try a TYM T273 or T233. While not a subcut, these are just as manueverable as the BX's, way better for digging, and more HP for your 3 pt chores. Much nicer tractor, much more capable, though a few more $$$. The new TYMs are the sweetest small frame CUTs out there right now. Or for less money, look at a Kioti CK20HST too.

My advice: Don't buy that little tractor. You'll wish you had bought bigger. Of the two, unless you will absolutely sell in a few years, the Mahindra is the smartest long term purchase. Get as much hp as you can afford.

Right now I am forever weed wacking and that is getting tiring, so any mowing is would be a great long term improvement. We are trying to prepare for the future and ensure we can stay in our house as long as possible -- being able to maintain the property on our own terms is important so the tractor that has the most long term solutions for us is what we need. The larger tractor with more capacity is desirable if it can turn and manuver around trees and rocks. I have seen the Kioti and they look nice. There isn't a TYM dealer close to me, so I will probably stay with what I can get from a local dealer. Thanks for the suggestions.