BX24 problem

/ BX24 problem #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
I was taking care of my neighbors horses last weekend and his BX24 is not running good. When you give it throttle (typically about 2500 rpm) it runs strong then almost dies goes to half throttle, back up and down and so fourth. I have heard that when the throttle control gets loose on the in the injection pump it will do this but have also heard of something similar with the fuel filter. I told my neighbor about it yesterday and he really wants to get it fixed since it is a "style cramp-er" when your tractor bogs down at any time and "wimpy" having a tractor that cant run right. Help would be appreciated, he wants me to do the repair, luckily I have experience with both the fuel filter (BX24 has 2 of them) and have taken the injection pump on and off my Simplicity 9518 diesel tractor multiple times due to poor parts quality. The BX24 has relitively low hours on it, my guess is between 200-400. Thanks guys! :)

/ BX24 problem #2  
I have yet to replace my filter and its over 500 hours. If the engine surges, perhaps it does need filter replacement. Its pretty simple, just replace both, underneath tractor and in engine compartment.check the air filter as well.

/ BX24 problem
I have yet to replace my filter and its over 500 hours. If the engine surges, perhaps it does need filter replacement. Its pretty simple, just replace both, underneath tractor and in engine compartment.check the air filter as well.

I did pull the air filter and it is almost brand new. makes me wonder when it was last serviced. :confused:

/ BX24 problem #4  
Fuel filter would be the best place to start. Diesels like nothing more than clean filters.

/ BX24 problem
Fuel filter would be the best place to start. Diesels like nothing more than clean filters.

For doing this will I have to remove the FEL and grill guard to get the side panels off? And if I remove the FEL (likely) will I have to remove the backhoe to keep the front tires on the ground or will it handle it fine?

/ BX24 problem #6  
Johndeere3720 said:
For doing this will I have to remove the FEL and grill guard to get the side panels off? And if I remove the FEL (likely) will I have to remove the backhoe to keep the front tires on the ground or will it handle it fine?

I don't have any experence with the piticular tractor you are having problems with. I'm going off of experencies I have had with diesel engines. It seems odd that you would have to remove the FEL to gain access to the fuel filter. If you do, it seems like poor engineering on the manufactures end. The tractor should keep the tires on the ground with the FEL removed. Be careful moving the machine with it off though. The front end will be much likely to come "unglued". Espically when "jerking" forward really quickly.

/ BX24 problem
I don't have any experence with the piticular tractor you are having problems with. I'm going off of experencies I have had with diesel engines. It seems odd that you would have to remove the FEL to gain access to the fuel filter. If you do, it seems like poor engineering on the manufactures end. The tractor should keep the tires on the ground with the FEL removed. Be careful moving the machine with it off though. The front end will be much likely to come "unglued". Espically when "jerking" forward really quickly.

Thanks, worst case I have 200 pounds of tractor weights I could hang on the front bumper to help even it out. And with the side panels, I think they are integrated into the grill which cannot be removed without removing the grill guard and the FEL. With this, I want to be as safe as possible so removing the hoe may be in the equation as well although i don't necessary want to do it if possible not to.

/ BX24 problem #8  
I don't have experience with that tractor, but, with my Massey.....I just raise the bucket up in the garage, and throw a chain around the bucket and the rafters to make sure it doesn't fall on me. They only weigh a couple hundred pounds on these small tractors, doesn't take much to make them safe without total disassembly.

/ BX24 problem #9  

You shouldn't have to remove the hoe.
Actually just the grill guard and side panel's If you don't mind working through the arms on the loader.

While you got the lower filter off drain some fuel in to a clean bucket maybe the blockage in in the tank you are all ready 3/4 there to check it with the filter off.

/ BX24 problem #10  
You shouldn't have to remove the hoe.
Actually just the grill guard and side panel's If you don't mind working through the arms on the loader.

While you got the lower filter off drain some fuel in to a clean bucket maybe the blockage in in the tank you are all ready 3/4 there to check it with the filter off.
There was a guy on here that purchased a 'rental unit'............turns out that someone put epoxy or something in the tank, and it kept blocking the fuel flow.

Would be a good idea to check the tank also. Not to mention the time I ended up with bugs in my fuel filter on my old Cub Cadet..........LMAO