BX25 Remote Valve Project

/ BX25 Remote Valve Project #1  

CHDinCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25, Z422-KW
Well, finally started my dual rear remote project for my BX25. This all started after following Artisan's BX25 GrappleOmatic thread and thinking about adding the Thumb grapple to my FEL, but, I also have a hydraulic top link that I used on my old BX1860 with the Kubota factory dual rear remote kit. That kit is very cool and well integrated on the non BH BX's but since the valve mounts to the side of the HST, there's interference with the BH sub frame on the BX24/25 machines so it's a no go for me.

I looked hard at the 3rd function solenoid solutions for the grapple like Artisan nicely put together, but I couldn't find a local dealer I could order a Fasse valve through with confidence. And, that still left me wondering if or how I could use it to operate my old hydraulic top link. So, I finally decided to put together a rear valve kit from Surplus Center and Discount Hydraulic Hose parts that will be plugged into my BH power beyond loop. This will mean I can't use it when the BH is on, or can't use the BH when it's plumbed into the PB loop, but since it's mostly for the hydro top link for now, that's OK. I plan to add the thumb down the line with funds are available. I did buy the angle iron to modify the top edge of the FEL for the thumb once I get it. I will operate the thumb using long hose to the rear aux valve.

So here's some pic's of my progress so far. No laughing since this is my first fabrication project. Bought the welder with Xmas money and I think this is the 3rd time I've used it. Have to say, I would never have taken the plunge on welding if not for being a TBN member and getting encouragement from a neighbor of mine who I actually met via TBN - Scotty Dive. He showed me his equipment and encouraged me to start welding, so thank you Scott.

First pic is the valve with the QC's temporarily mounted to see if they clear each other. The scrap metal for the mount is beside it. Other pic's are making up the mount which will attach to the ROPS. Plan is to make it removable for when it's not needed and also so I can move it to my next tractor should I ever trade up.

Attachments

• BX Valve Project 001.JPG
    BX Valve Project 001.JPG
    657.7 KB · Views: 1,090
  • BX Valve Project 003.JPG
    BX Valve Project 003.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 885
  • BX Valve Project 004.JPG
    BX Valve Project 004.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 759
  • BX Valve Project 006.JPG
    BX Valve Project 006.JPG
    739 KB · Views: 921
   / BX25 Remote Valve Project
Continuing, here are some pic's of the valve temporarily mounted. I did some checking to make sure the seat will swivel OK and that the ROPS will fold without interference. The seat swivels fine but has to be swiveled to the opposite side of the valve. I will measure for hoses once the mount is complete. Planning to use some velcro straps to organize the hoses.

The mount will be painted Kubota Gray after a little more grinding and polishing. I ended up welding the bolts to the mount to make putting in on easier. Too hard to hold the mount with valve on it and then try to bolt on the bracket with 4 loose bolts. I was going to order a U-thread bracket from one of the Kubota kits that use them, like the light kit, but when I called Messick's parts department they priced one U-thread bolt at $39 plus shipping. Kubota is nuts - wasn't going to spend over $40 for one u-bolt. Couldn't find the right size locally so I'm going with plain bolts and flat brackets to hold it in place.

That's it for now. Will update when I make more progress.

Attachments

• BX Valve Project 007.JPG
    BX Valve Project 007.JPG
    696 KB · Views: 1,746
  • BX Valve Project 008.JPG
    BX Valve Project 008.JPG
    781.2 KB · Views: 1,280
  • BX Valve Project 009.JPG
    BX Valve Project 009.JPG
    704.4 KB · Views: 1,222
   / BX25 Remote Valve Project #3  
Great project ! Looks like it is coming along nicely.

I will try to talk you into plumbing it permanently though. The difference is mostly just the cost of a couple longer hoses and some fittings. No hydraulic fluid dripping on everything connecting and disconnecting those hoses every time ( i promise you will be happier this way!!!).

I'm a self-taught welder too. Only advice I can give is clean, clean , clean ! Any steel you are going to weld must be clean. I have a bad habit of not grinding steel so it's clean enough...... and often that's the difference between a good weld a one that resembles bird ****.

/ BX25 Remote Valve Project #4  
Hi here a few pics how I did it on my BX 24!

Attachments

• image-949332766.jpg
    image-949332766.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 1,817
  • image-2933909880.jpg
    image-2933909880.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 1,305
Great project ! Looks like it is coming along nicely.

I will try to talk you into plumbing it permanently though. The difference is mostly just the cost of a couple longer hoses and some fittings. No hydraulic fluid dripping on everything connecting and disconnecting those hoses every time ( i promise you will be happier this way!!!).

I'm a self-taught welder too. Only advice I can give is clean, clean , clean ! Any steel you are going to weld must be clean. I have a bad habit of not grinding steel so it's clean enough...... and often that's the difference between a good weld a one that resembles bird ****.

Permanent plumbing is a thought and maybe I'll do that eventually if I find I basically use the valve all the time. Would be nice to be able to use the eventual front grapple and BH without moving hoses around, though I suppose technically I think I could run the BH off of one of the remote sets using a bungee to hold it open (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). I do think I'll want it out of the way for extensive BH work and of course using QC's to hook it up will make it more easily transferred to a new machine (dreams do sometime come true :D).

samofsweden, nice set up. Tripple remotes I see. Did you plumb yours into the backhoe ports?

/ BX25 Remote Valve Project #7  
Nice job, Chris; I think they can use you at the sub base.
Sam's job looked like the factory did it.

/ BX25 Remote Valve Project #8  
Permanent plumbing is a thought and maybe I'll do that eventually if I find I basically use the valve all the time. Would be nice to be able to use the eventual front grapple and BH without moving hoses around, though I suppose technically I think I could run the BH off of one of the remote sets using a bungee to hold it open.

Its just a matter of plumbing the aux. valve in series before (or after, I suppose) the backhoe. Does the BX backhoe have just an in and out hose..... or are there three lines for the hoe? Not knocking the way you are doing it, just that making it permanent isn't much more money. As you suggested.... then you can use the remote valve for a front grapple or whatever.

In any event.... nice work so far. :thumbsup:

/ BX25 Remote Valve Project #9  
Looks great Chris:thumbsup:

Its just a matter of plumbing the aux. valve in series before (or after, I suppose) the backhoe. Does the BX backhoe have just an in and out hose..... or are there three lines for the hoe? Not knocking the way you are doing it, just that making it permanent isn't much more money. As you suggested.... then you can use the remote valve for a front grapple or whatever.

In any event.... nice work so far. :thumbsup:

The BX has three lines; pressure in, power beyond and tank, so I will hook up all three ports to the aux valve. Just got done putting all the fittings and QC's on the valve so I can measure for hoses. More pic's later. And thanks all for the kind words.